Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2005, 5:19 PM   #1

I have decided to buy the canon 20D ...

My question is, where this camera is more like a computer, am I better off purchasing the camera from a vendor, such as Dell, who offers an Extended Service Plan or are these Extended Service Plans nothing but b**s***?

I looked at ritz camera and their plan is way too expensive in my opinion (at least for me). Thank you for your adv.

kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:45 PM   #2

The Ritz plan is more than just service. They will replace the camera or fix it for just about anything other than fire or theft. I passed on it due to its ridiculous price! Instead, I bought the camera with my VISA Platinum which extends the warranty by one year. So I have 2 years of warranty. Then I bought a personal articles policy from State farm which covers everything except wear and tear. If I drop it, lose it, or pretty much anything except a warranty issue, they will pay with no deductible. It was very inexpensive and I covered all my accessories and another camera for $60 for the year.

bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 11:32 PM   #3

Some people do OK with extended warranties, but for the most part they are fluff, and the biggest money makers for the dealer. You'd be better off doing what bigboyhf did. Extended warraty talk by the salesman is one of my biggest gripes about buying from a local store like Best Buy, Fry's, etc....really, ANY local electronic store. Last weekend I went with a friend to buy an Epson R1800 printer. The store wanted to sell them an extended warranty at a cost equal to 10% of the price of the printer- BS.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 6:09 PM   #4

Thank you both for your input. I'll contact my credit card co and see their position.

-Regards ...
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:33 PM   #5

I bought my XT/350D through best buy when the XT/350D first came out and went ahead and bought a service plan. It was 'only' $99 for 4 years. I use to work at a best buy while in school, and I know how their plans work pretty well. I have ideas on taking advantage of the service plan before it expires. :G
dorseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 3:57 PM   #6

Didnt take it on my 3040 Olympus and it broke and cost $200 to fix it several years ago.I bought the Best Buy plan with the savings I got on the camera.I also get a free replacement battery every year under this plan.I t all depends if you can afford the plan.I would urge you not to buy those plans that are from the store you bought it from.

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2005, 4:01 PM   #7

I did what bigboy did. I bought a personal articles policy, also from State Farm. It really is cheap for what you get. I can see myself hiking along in the mountains with my camera and expensive lens in hand, slipping, and boom I'm out $4000 in gear. This policy will replace it, without deductible.

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote