Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:28 PM   #1

I am very new to photograhy, so please bare with me, I wish to take good night shots with a 300D can someone please tell me what mode I should select on the camera and roughly what settings to put the camera to

I really hope someone can help becasue I am heading to Hong Kong and Sydney and really want to take fab shots of these citys at night

Thanks Dpeur
dpeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:23 PM   #2

Well I would suggest that you use manual mode for these shots. Depending on how much of the subject you want to have in focus (near to you to far off) you will have to adjust your aperture based onn that. If you shooting citys cape from far, F8 is good starting point. Keep ss of 1sec or longer. Take some shots and see your histogram and adjust accordingly. If manual is too much, you can use Av mode and let camera choose exposure but change EV comp. based on how your histogram look. Better to make multiple shots at different settings as sometimes you get fooled by the brightness of the LCD at night time.

I will keep ISO setting to low like 100 or 200. You will defnitely need a tripod. Mirror up. Use a remote release if you have one or use the timer to actuate the shutter.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 7:11 PM   #3

I dont do much night shots and such, but this is one shot that I have done.

Looking at about 18mm on the 18-55, f/22 for the aperture, ISO 100, about 5 minutes.

Though depending on bright the scene is, you may just have to do shorter shots between the 30 to 1 minute range, with aperture around the 5.6 to f/11. And as normall assumed, you'll need a tripod.
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote