Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2005, 8:05 PM   #1

Well just got back form Wolf here in Dallas, Bough the 20D a 4 gig micro drive, cannon ef 75-300 lens came with the cheap feeling ef-s 18-55 lens

AND the vert grip HOORAY!

spare bat etc......

Ok I am a NIKON convert so canon lenses are like diff to me and so what is the the next loense i need to get!

I do indoor arena competition cheer photos fo rmy daughter team and lots of outdoor photos and indoor low light portrait...

Well whats the 2.8 lens i need to get that is affordable?
1texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2005, 8:44 PM   #2

1texan wrote:
Well whats the 2.8 lens i need to get that is affordable?
Hey congrats...I just got mine from Amazon today as well.

You didn't say what focal length you need, but a low-cost option is the 50mm F1.8.

I agree on the cheap feel of the kit lens, but it will be fine until I figure out what I really want.

tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:43 PM   #3
Super Moderator

hey texan,

the best value in telephoto 2.8s is the sigma 70-200 2.8 ex dg hsm. (hsm=usm).. very sharp and contrasty lens for around 800USD.. throw a 1.4 teleconverter in and you have a f4 that goes out to 280mm... great for moderate distance sports coverage..

if you want a shorter 2.8.. the sigma 24-70 2.8 ex dg is a great performer and a great value at around 400USD.. great portrait lens..

these two lenses would make a fantastic combination.. of course canon makes some fine performers in both of those focal lengths in their L-series.. the drawback is that they will cost you considerably more..

best regards, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote