Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1

Using circular polarizer - doesn't seem to make any difference when I use the filter or not. Is there some setting in the camera that I may be overlooking? I have a Canon 20D and even used a Hoya MC polarizer. I turned the filter to obtained the darkest quality the filter offers and I still get the same images whether it is on the lens or not. Thanks to all who may be able to offer advice or how to correct this problem.cular Pol
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2005, 4:42 PM   #2

The polarizer is only most effective when the sun is at certain angle: www.offrench.net/photos/articles/polarizing_filter.php

... Also the effect is more visible with a brighter lens - slower lenstend to darken the viewfinder and makes the effect less noticeable
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:50 PM   #3

try taking a shot into a store window - at about a 30 degree angle or so -*now rotate the filer while looking through that window - you'll see a dramatic change in the glare off the windowalso - try photographing a car, a shiny car, rotate the polarizing filter and again you'll see fairly dramatic changes in reflections/glare off the paint of the caras mentioned, for "sky darkening" it works best at certain angles into the skymorelaterthe show doctor
showdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 3:03 PM   #4

I want to buy a 62mm circular polarizer for my Sigma 18-125. It looks like I have 2 choice in thickness. I am assuming I need the thinner wide-angle version for this lens?
vjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:36 PM   #5

For the 20d with the 17-85 IS Lens, do you need a circular polarizer or would a normal (non circular) work just as good?

rdjphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:04 PM   #6

You can't use a linear type polarizing filter on an SLRcamera with autofocus. So, for your 20D you MUST select a circular polarizing type.

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote