Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2003, 8:40 PM   #1
Default Occational D60 image problem

Has anyone shared this same problem I'm having with my D60:

I've had the camera about 4 months now. I've taken about 2500+ shots thus far. Most images are ok (usually limited more by my own capabilities than anything else). However, I've had about 20+ images that appear ok in camera and in thumbnails. But when these shots are viewed in full on computer, the bottom half of the image is somwhat garbled.... usually shifted a few pixels to left or right from the top half and colors are way off. Top half of image is ok.
Also, I've had some images that I have cut down the size of for emailing. These viewed fine on my setup (XP, Photoshop, Windows image viewer), but the recipient of the images did not recieve the bottom half of the shot (just blank). Others, with identical setup and edits, were received just fine.
Anyone else experienced this problem or know what may be causing it?
R_Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2003, 1:08 PM   #2

That's an interesting problem. I also have a D60 about 2 months old and have over 1,000 pix taken. I am using an IBM 1gb Microdrive and have questioned the read/write speed. I, however, have never had a bad image (that wasn't my fault). The camera's buffer memory seems to work fast and the write time to the memory card is adequately fast also. Your problem may be a CF card failing to write completely or a problem with the camera. Have you tried other CF cards? Does the e-mail processing problem occur in other software. Is this unique to one computer work station? Perhaps try variations to determine whether it is the camera or other peripheral components. May be a warranty issue!
Good luck and please post your findings as they progress.
MJBergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:57 PM   #3

A further discovery: The Canon website shows a new firmware upgrade for the D60 which addresses thumbnail viewing and some aspects of data storage to the CF card. Something worth doing and may cure your problems. See below......

EOS D60 Firmware Version 1.0.4 resolves the following issues, which may occur in the RAW mode depending on shutter release timing:

1. Thumbnail is black. *1

2. Data is not written to CF card (or microdrive). *2

*1 Only the thumbnail image is affected, there is no problem with the main image.
*2 With EOS D60 cameras that have Firmware Version 1.0.0, 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 installed, in cases where data stored in the camera's buffer memory has not yet been written to the CF card or microdrive, that data will be written when the menu button is pressed, or when the shutter button is pressed halfway.

EOS D60 Firmware Version 1.0.4 can be used to update EOS D60 cameras with Firmware Version(s) 1.0.0, 1.0.1 or 1.0.2.
MJBergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:02 PM   #4

By all means, download and install the upgrade. It 's very easy to install, and fixes some very real bugs in the camera.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote