Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:38 PM   #1

Hello all,

I just noticed that after taking 10,000 pictures with my digital rebel, the file number just starts over at img_0001 . This means that I have different pictures with the same file name now. Is there anyway to make the camera start at img_10000 or start with different letters or something to avoid this problem?

Thanks a bunch
planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:39 AM   #2

I think you are probably stuck with it starting over. But it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't download all your pictures to the same file without creating a new folder for them. I always use the create new file radial button in zoom browserand use the shooting date as the file name when I download. That way even if there are like filenames the newone won't over ride the old one. There are other options for downloading with zoom browser also, and more than likely similar options in other software programs. Once I'm through with the processing in Photoshop I go to batch processing and re-name and number the files usually with a name that willlet me know what pictures are in the file withouthaving to open it.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:41 AM   #3

Isn't the pictures in a different folder when you open them? as Canon 100,101,102, ETC.

You can do a Batch rename or renumber. Or just save them into a folder of your choice with a name of something to help you remember when and where they were taken.

bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:41 AM   #4

It is a standard function - just like your speedometer.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:10 AM   #5

I just can't belive you have taken 10,000 photos :O, how on earth did you manage that many? and how much space does that take up on your HDD?

*still in shock as you can see in my avitar*
AlanV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:06 PM   #6

I use Ulead Photo Explorer and it has an option to rename the files as you are downloading them from the camera. I haven't used Zoom Browser much (Ulead seems a lot more user friendly), butit may have the same function.

10000 pics huh, you've been busy.

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 12:07 PM   #7

I've only had my XT for about 2 months now and I'm already over 2000 pics, so that should be hitting 10000 in about 7 or 8 months...

I'd recommend putting them in folders named for the date or something so you can have multiple files with the same name, just in different folders. Or you can always rename the files you keep to something that describes the picture and delete the the ones that didn't come out.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 1:46 PM   #8
Super Moderator

better tell canon to make another production run of shutters.. you guys will be wearing yours out soon!!!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:02 PM   #9

The 20D is so responsive that it's pretty easy toshoot 10000 photos in a year. I've have my 10D more than twice as long as my 20D and it still at about 6000 photos. I 've slowed down quite a bit lately as I'm starting to shoot like a film photographer again. For a while, I was shooting at least 300 - 400photos each event. Sometimes over 400. I my film days, I averaged 130. With the I averaged 10D around 200. The large cards and minature hard disks make taking a lot of photos very easy.

I think the speed of the camera does make a difference. I was in a night club and a group of Japanese tourist came in, one had a Nikon D100 and another hada 20D. I noticed that the guy with the 20D was taking so manyphotos the bouncers had to tell him to cut back. The Nikon guy shot far fewer photos. Both guys had very high quality lenses (ED and L series).

wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:44 PM   #10

Uh, I think he is referring to the Digital Rebel 300D. I have had one since December, and just last month the counter on mine restarted like his has.

It was like a new toy is to a younger human, you use it, and use it, and use it. Just to feel the power and excitementof taking an unlimited number of pictures, even for the least important of subjects.

I would assume that Canon's file numbering system restricts the count to an 8 digit length. The manual explains it, but why pursue that.

My 2 cents worth.
SA Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote