Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:52 PM   #1

Hi ppl,

I use to have a Canon S45 but I replaced it with a 350D I am not very impressed with the pics my new cam makes. Everyone thinks this cam is great so the problem must be me :P This far I have made nicer pics with my S45 especially in the "auto" mode. I need some advise:

- I like to go to carmeetings but I am not very satisfied with the results of the pics I make there. Can someone advise me on the settings? So ussually I make pics from different angles. What "auto" mode is best to use to make a good and sharp picrture? (or is it better to put it on a manual program and adjust some settings?)
- I also make a lot of scenery pics. When the sun is shining I think the pics show too much white/light. How can I improve pics like this? What setting do I have to use? Is it wise to buy a UV filter?
- What setting is best to make sunset pics?
- I have two kittens and I make a lot of pics of those 2 bad bad cats :P Somehow my cam seems to be having problems with focussing on the cats and the right amount of flash. How can I solve these 2 things?
- I want to make night pictures of my car in front of a lighted bridge and in front of a oil refinery (which has got a lot of lights). Whats the best (manual) setting for this?

I hope someone can give me some advise on this!

Jordipordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:04 AM   #2

Jordi, the RebelXT is a great camera. I've had mine for a week, and have taken several hundred pictures just around my yard and neighborhood. Experiment, experiment, experiment!

Take dozens of shots of your favorite subjects using different settings. Use Av and try several different f-stops, use Tv and try different shutter speeds. For your low light pictures, use higher ISO settings, make sure your using a WB suitable for the type of light. Above all, experiment.

You might get some helpful hints from this website:

GeorgeNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:50 PM   #3
Super Moderator

welcome to the learning curve of a dslr.. it is often easier to get good snapshots from a p&s since the depth of field is greater on these smaller lens/sensor combos and the incamera color saturation and sharpness is turned up a bit..

the dslrs are capable of much better images, but it takes some time to understand the concepts of depth of field, aperture, shutter speeds and how they all interelate.. the flash systems are also a bit more complex and some understanding is needed to get the results you need.. and with the in camera sharpening/contrast/saturation lowered in dslrs, there really is an expectation to take these photos into photoshop and tweak these parameters yourself..

so stick with it, you will get better.. read all you can on the subject, and maybe consider a weekend seminar or some sort of introductory photography course to improve your shots.. take lots of shots, and sort through the ones you like and figure out what you did there that you didnt in the ones you didnt like.. and learn to use your image-editing softward, particularly sharpening/levels/saturation..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote