Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:18 AM   #1

:-)Hi there,I want to buy the canon eos 350d,but i cant get up my mind between these two lenses:the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di AF and the Sigma 28-70mm F2.8 EX DG.i dont know but i have read some reviews about sigma lenses and it looks like if all sigma lenses have af-problems in combination with the Canon 350d/xt.Please give me some advice about these lenses.Thanks.
M@RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2

I have the Tamron 28/75 in my kit and I love it. It's fast, sharp, and well constructed. Before purchasing it, like you, did some heavy researching on the lens and found nothing but rave reviews. I use it as my walkaround lens and also for portraits. If possible check out: http://bobatkins.com/photography/rev...ron_28_75.html

If you decide to purchase the Tamron, check out Tigerdirect. It seems that it was on backorder for the longest time. Tigerdirect was the only merchant that it in stock when I purchased mine. BTW, I beleiveAdorama has a demo lens on sale on their site:

Fยบ 451

Farinhiet451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:10 PM   #3

I have a Tamron 28-75 and I love it. I use it all the time.

I haven't used the Sigma lenses.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:33 PM   #4

I have the sigma, although I use it on a 20D and 300D digital rebel, but I have never had any AF problems on either body and the lens is fantastic. I also have a sigma 17-35mm and 70-200mm f2/8 neither of which has ever had AF problems on either of my cameras. I would recomend all three to anyone.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:47 PM   #5

I have the Tamron 28-75 F2.8 sp xr di and it works just great.
I also have a growing sized pile of Sigma EX, Tamron SP XR Di, and Canon L and canon consumer lenses. None of them have any troubles focusing, so long as there is enough light for them. The wider your starting aperture the lower light you can AF in without assistance.

The difference in optical performance is definitely visible between the higher end lenses and consumer lenses.

Get the best you can manage, and you won't have to re-buy when your standards go up. :!:

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:13 AM   #6

M@RS, are you really comparing the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 to the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 or did you really mean the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 to the Tamron? The reason why I ask is cuz, during my research, most (if not all) compare the Sigma 24-70mm to the Tamron.

In any case, I ended up going for the Tamron...cuz of the lighter weight and 6yr warranty. Image quality is on par with the Sigma 24-70mm.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:18 PM   #7

AlpineMan,Thanks for your reply,Yes i ment the sigma 28-70EX DG but i also found the 24-70EX DG version on the internet and find this one more interesting over the tamron because the sigma has a slightly bigger wide-angle and has no turning af-ring during af-mode.I have read a review on www.pbase.com/fstopjojosaying the sigma slightly being better.

M@RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 11:21 PM   #8
Super Moderator

the only problem with the sigma 24-70 2.8 is the huge 82mm filter size and the size of the lens itself.. other than that the extra 4mm at the wide end is very useful and it is a very well constructed and sharp lens..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote