Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2005, 3:50 PM   #11

i actually love the xt. it has the features needed, and i think the small size comes in handy. i shot around 800 pictures on the factory battery w/out the need for recharging, and most of those w/ flash.

the metering on this camera is very nice, and quick at that. i've heard problems people have had w/ the viewfinder being too dim, but i've had no problem with it, even in direct sunlight.

i'd say give it a try in a camera store. most things are personal preference, so of course some will disagree. for a good dSLR, i believe this to be a great choice for the $$. i've used the 20d as well, and don't see much difference, or at least not enough difference to prove the extra $$$$ worthy. when going into it more professionally in the future, of course it would be for the more rugged body, but the xt's body is not really that inferior. sure, it's plastic, but it took a crash from 10 feet onto a rocky surface last weekend and didn't miss a picture. no scratches either, surprisingly.

just my $0.02

jon rowe
jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:19 PM   #12

I'm going to second....or third....a thumbs up on the XT. Forsomeone starting to expiriment in the digital relm (like myself), or learning about all those different settings; I recomend either the rebel or XT.

I agree the rebel does fill the hand better but the way I position my hands to 'cradle' the camera, I like the XT just fine. (I'm 6'2" and 195 lbs, no small hands here).

Yes, the XT is $200 more than the rebel but I felt the extra little bit of speed, mp, etc were worth it. I figured I might as well get the 'better/updated' version. That way I dont need to replace it quite as soon when technology surpasses it. (for a non-pro camera and non-pro use).

Other than the above mentioned, I was ready to go for the regular rebel. I'm sure you'll do just fine with the rebel.
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:54 PM   #13

Thank for all the input, appreciate it. I am just a beginner in digital so I will keep the rebel for now and see what it can do.
inspector830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:14 PM   #14

I think the 300D is a very nice camera, especially if you install the hack for FEC and AI Servo.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:52 PM   #15

BobA since when does the hack give you AI Servo in M,Ap,Av?
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:11 PM   #16

Someone was yaking about it on the POTN forum. I'll see if I can find the thread.

On the site for the Wasia hack download it mentions that it adds the functionality to "Selects the autofocus mode: AIfocusAF, ONEShot"

Some threads that include some discussion of AI Focus for the 300D at POTN:

I don't have a 300D, so can't confirm what works and what doesn't.:-)
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:51 AM   #17

Folks, sometimes people complaining about the 350D for the wrong reasons. And in most cases it is because of a certain mind set. Watch, some will say 350D is crap because it is small while others are completely comfortable with its size. others will say one can hardly see through the viewfinder, etc, etc,. I really think these are matters of taste. In matters of taste there is no dispute. How about considering the camera on its own merits as a photographic equipment. You will be amazed to realise that it is quite a piece of machinery and electronics. The body, the megapixels, the Digi II system, etc to mention some. I speak because I own one.

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 12:40 PM   #18

I makemy living with photography. I own both theRebel XT and the 20D. I dobread and butter family photography and I do art work.I've used Canon camera's for over 30 years. I love the XT and use it exclusively for all of my art work. It's a great little camera.I have thevertical battery grip attached, as I do on all my camera's and I find it to be beautifully balanced and ergonomically pleasing in the hand with a 17-85 IS lens attached. I've also used it with my 70-200 f4 and again found it to be a pleasure.

The ruggedness issue is bogus unless you throw your camera's around and "NEED" something you can throw against the wall. The technology in this camera is nothing short of amazing considering what it's abilities would have cost you just 3 or4years ago.

If you shoot like I do, with a vertical grip, it's size becomes an advantage. Believe it or not, for me the 20D almost feels cumbersome after working with the XT for a while. This camera achieves it's design objective stunningly. The image quality is undistinguishable from the 20D. I don't find the viewfinder dim either but I work with it mostly outdoors. btw I have medium size hands.

As one who owns and uses it, I highly recommend the Rebel XT!

tony m

tmumolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 9:47 AM   #19

I have the 300D and would not upgrade to the 350D because of the size issue, I have the battery grip on my 300D and could not imagine it without it. I prefer a big camera because I like to use big lenses for wildlife and a friend who has the 350D complains that it seems out of balance with a 300mm lens on. I will some time upgrade to a 20D. I thought about the hack for my 300D but have never tried for fear of it causing a problem. Im considering it now that the camera is past it's warranty though.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote