Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 11, 2005, 2:53 PM   #1

I am new to this camera and are currently using the auto mode. When & how do I use the White Balance & Red Eye Reduction.

I am shooting everything in L mode Jpeg - is it ok? What about this talk of shooting RAW?

I am also having trouble setting the focus points that you see when you look into the eyepiece.

pleaseadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 3:09 PM   #2

This is my recommendation:

* Shooting in Large-Fine jpeg is a good way to start. Many people never switch to using RAW, and depending on your level of interest/expertise it may not be for you. Learn your camera first, read up on RAW conversion, then make the switch if you want.

* One advantage of RAW is the ease of correcting white balance. However, I'd have to admit that my 20D usually does a very good job with white balance when I just leave it in AWB. The only times I see noticeable WB problems are when I use flash without a diffuser orwhen I use my circular polarizer.Sometimes there may be a slight color cast which is easy to fix in Photoshop.

* I NEVER let the camera select the AF point. My recommendation would be to select the center point only for the majority of your shots (focus, then recompose and shoot). I only use the other points when I have my camera ona tripod, or if I'm concerned about focus/recompose causing an out of focus picture because of a narrow depth of field.

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:21 AM   #3

BobA is right on the money here, set the center focus point only. If you do need a large depth of field such as big group, set your mode dial to A-DEP, and everything will be in focus.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote