Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2005, 8:41 PM   #1

looking for input

shooting with digital rebel

volleyball : CANON 85MM 1.8

CANON 70-200 f2.8

football: canon 70-200 f2.8 with 1.4 teleconverter

canon 100-400mm

thank you for your input
stevesnyderohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:09 PM   #2

I've had good luck with my 100-400L at night football games in stadiums with good lighting and during the day it's very nice. Unfortunately many if not most high school stadiums do NOT have good lighting for night games as far as for photo taking with f5.6 tele zooms. Even at ISO 1600 shutter speeds can fall to 1/100 sec or slowerat f5.6 after the sun goes down, and players are simply moving too fast- at those shutter speeds, image stabilization does you no good for fast moving players. My advice for night shooting in not-so-good-lightwould be to use your 70-200 f2.8 and get as close to the field as possible if not on the sidelines. If you're talking college or pro games a 100-400 should be fine.

An 85/1.8 should be perfect for volleyball. I'm planning to take someof those in this year myself and that's the lens going with me. A 70-200 f2.8 should work great too if you have the clearance in front of you. People can be close together in stands for that lens.

You may need to work on your anticipation of action with the Digital Rebel since you cannot set it to continuous AF, especially with in-close action where the combination of wide aperture settings and narrow depth of field will make some shots problematic.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 10:18 AM   #3

I'm still new at this, but I can relate what I've experienced. I have been using the Canon 70-200 f2.8 with a first generation Digital Rebel this summer to shoot Softball, and it is capable of some really nice, sharp images with great background blur. With the wide aperture, I can crank up the shutter speed and get good results. Of course, my lack of experience often causes poor results, but I can't blame that on the lens. I primarily bought the lens for basketball, but by the time I got it, basketball season was over, so I haven't really put it to the test indoors yet.

Greg has a point about the continous AF. I've had a few potentially great shots turn out blurry because the subject moved out of the focal plane. This could be my fault, though; I have a lot to learn about sports photography. For example, yesterday I was shooting players running directly toward me from about 100 feet away. The AF on this lens is so fast that in many cases I could focus and shoot before the subject moved out of the focal plane. Even though I missed as many as I got, it shows that this lens can do it, if your timing is right. My only complaint is that when I try to use the Canon 2X extender with it, the results are not as sharp as I had expected. The 1.4X is a little better, but there is still a slight loss of sharpness. This, again, could be incompetence on my part, or maybe the Rebel's AF isn't up to the task.

Anyway, if you don't mind the weight, the 70-200 f2.8 seems to be a good performer, in my opinion.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 12:03 PM   #4

When using ANY extension tube, there will always be loss of sharpness (and a 2x tube is worse off than a 1.4x). It's good that you can acknowledge your lack of experience as a fault, but it's not good to blame yourself for absolutely everything that doesn't seem to go your way.

tmilner wrote:
The 1.4X is a little better, but there is still a slight loss of sharpness. This, again, could be incompetence on my part, or maybe the Rebel's AF isn't up to the task.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote