Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 23, 2005, 8:19 PM   #11

I noticed this when I went from a canon G3 to the digital rebel. The G3 always produced photos in saturated colors which is not always what you want, I think the rebel cameras have very natural coloring and if i want that really saturated look I use a polarizer for landscapes and for all else alter it in photo-shop.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 7:55 AM   #12

After 3000+ photos with my XT I can say that there have been occasions where I was not happy with the colors but the cause has always been me. This is my first SLR camera of either kind and I have been learning about the differences in light, lenses and more importantly (to me anyway) white balance. I shoot a lot of low light photos and had some difficulty getting the colors right at first.

But with the help of boards like this one I have learned a lot and learn a lot about my XT by just taking pictures while trying new settings. Custom White Balance has been a big help to me in my night time shots to get my colors right.
mrcoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:11 AM   #13

Well, here we go again. Everyone reading this reply grew up looking at 'snapshots' from lab developed prints. Cameras and developing process made sure the prints were sharp, saturated, and crisp. It is normal to expect digital images to look similar - and they do, if taken with a point-and-shoot camera. Remember - it's all about marketing.

Now that DSLR cams are getting affordable to the genral public - recent converts expect the results to mirror their past experience. Tain't so. Because of Camera construction (elements designed to minimize moire/noise) and the effect they have on images produced; you are now required to produce the effect you want in final images.

In-camera adjustments can compensate to a certain degree, but you lose the capability (somewhat)to modify the image in post production. You can't undo what the camera delivers. I'm ignoring the RAW vs. Jpeg. argument.

Sooner or later in theprint process - you learn that the "Lab" work is your responsibility. You just got pushed into working on computer with Photoshop (or other programs). Some take to it - some hate it.

Either way - the burden falls to the shooter. This is something nobody tells you til' you get to where you are now. A DSLR and GOOD glass will get you started, but, if you are serious about photography - you are only part way there.

Welcome to 21st Century imaging.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote