Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 24, 2005, 8:46 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I just got this lens today and i can't believe how HUGE and long it is compared to the kit lens! It's unbelievable. I've only had a few minutes to play with it but i was having a near impossible time keeping still @ 300mm.. going to need to practice that!

I just had two questions for anyone who has this lens:

1. After you adjust from normal mode to macro, how can you make the outter ring go back to 200mm non macro in order to flip the switch back? I think it's the autofocus ring. The only way I've been able to do it is by switching to manual mode and twisting it back OR by zooming at a blank wall and it goes back. Wondering if there's an easier way?

2. I was having trouble focusing for macro shots indoors.. sometimes it just beeps and won't take the picture (I assume because I'm too close) and other times it won't really focus properly - is this a light problem or user error? It's fairly bright in my basement.

Thanks a lot!

Doug_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:19 AM   #2

1) Yes, the best way is to move it to manual focus and turn the ring.

2) Focusing in Macro mode is best done on a tripod and of course with a contrasty subject. Often times in macro photography it is best to use manual focus anyway...the camera can't always determine the best focus.
G35Guy is offline   Reply With Quote