Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:15 AM   #1

Hi! Just got myself a nice shiny new 20D and have joined this forum for the first time after browsing extensively over the past few months the extremely valuable information and tips (thanks to everyone for those ).

I've hit the first little issue of what will no doubt be many to come.

What do the two on positions on the power switch actually do?

I was under the impression that the first position (ON) turns the camera on but locks the Quick Control Dial and the second position (line) unlocks the QCD.

However, when I turn my swith to ON the QCD seems to operate exactly the same as when I select the line.

I'm now thoroughly confused :? (which is easy enough at the best of times!) :roll:

Philippe
ariaudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

Which Quick Control Dial :blah:
On my 20D the second position activated the big dial on the back of the camera.
The on the switch line seems to point to :-).

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:17 AM   #3

The on switch has 3 positions: Off, On and the bent line.

Off turns the camera off :roll:
On is supposed to turn the camera on but the big Quick Control Dial on the back locked
The bent line is supposed to turn the camera on and activate the QCD

I can't see any difference between On and bent line - The QCD operates at both settings :?
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4

Sounds like your switch is not working right :!:
On my 20D the switches three positions do work as stated in the manual.

Althought I almost always switch it to the bent line position. I need my all my dials as I shoot a goodly part of my images using manual exposure. So I don't quite know why they gave it the 3 positions.:?

Actually I just checked, and in "On" mode the QCD will operate menues, but not allow exposure to be altered. In bent line mode it will operate menues and allow exposure to be altered.

Peter.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense here but what do you mean when you mention adjusting exposure - changing the shutter speed, apererture, bracketing?

What exact function will it dissallow in the first position? I haven't found anything that appears to be locked.

Again apologies for silly questions but I'm a complete newby with a digital SLR and I'm still trying to get to grips with the manual and what it all means!

Philippe
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:18 PM   #6

The manual is a little bit confusing about thethird position of the on off switch. It first says that the third position activates the large dial, but if you read page 28 of the manual very closely, the dial will operate with the switch in either position, EXCEPT for setting exposure compensation or trying to change the aperture setting when in full manual. I have never really understood the purpose of having the third position, but that is the way it is designed. As others have said, I just always turn it to the third position and don't worry about it. I'm sure your camera is functioning properly. Enjoy your new camera!
Dave Chrismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:28 PM   #7

in the on position you can still change the ISO settings and white balance, but in any of the creative modes you will not be able to change shutter speeds and exposure compensation, etc. for those adjustments it has to be set to the third setting.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:45 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies.

The whole point of the switch is indeed very confusing and poorly described in the manual. I don't think I'll ever use the third position and just stick to fully on but I was intrigued as to what it did.

Enjoying the camera enormously so far. Long way to go before I'm confident enough to share any pictures here though!

I'm off to Australia on busness at the end of the week and have managed to squeeze in a week's holiday at the end. If things go to plan I may have some pictures of Uluru to share when I get back. The spectacular nature of the surrounds will hopefully offset my ineptitude a bit.

Thanks again for all the invaluable advice I've been absorbing as a silent observer over the last few weeks.

Philippe
Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:52 PM   #9

I wonder if the middle on positon is for those of us who use our left eye on the viewfinder and have big noses :blah:

It is possible to change exposure accidently using the nose pointer :G
Maybe it could be a new marketing tool, a nose operated camera

Peter.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:20 PM   #10

the nose operated camera will probably come out just before the one they just implant in your brain.:lol:
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote