Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:06 AM   #1

I am ordering a Canon Rebel XT and want to take action shots of volleyball, which is inside in lower light and outside soccer, both day and night. What lens should I buy- I'm so confused. I am thinking of getting the kit lens for everyday usage, but would really like a lens which gives me a better range and is as small as the kit lens. Any suggestions as I want to order it this weekend or in 2 days at the latest (teams are in playoffs next week!). 2 Lenses for all of this??? Please help!!
tennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 9:30 AM   #2

small as the kit lens but a better range, huh? so then I guess it would be something like the sigma 18-200 or another lens with a high zoom ratio. But those types of lenses aren't optically superb. They're also slow so indoor shots will be very hard or just plain impossible.

Another thing to note is that you didn't tell how far you're going to be from the action (at least with the volleyball).

And you didn't give a price range.

I think one lens could cover your sports needs and the other one as your general...
If you had the money, I'd say the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for the sports (maybe even add a 1.4 tc for soccer). I think that'd cover the sports needs. If you don't have that type of money, then maybe the sigma 70-300 dg apo for soccer plus ... maybe the canon ef 85 f/1.8 for indoors... that would total up somewhere around 500 ish... it really depends on how much you're willing to spend... there are a lot of different combinations.

the kit lens isn't a bad lens... just expect to use a flash when you have to.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3

Price range- I'm flexible....of course want to spend as little as possible but know that I would like a good quality lens. The vball action would be from 20 ft to about 40 ft away from the court. I have a friend that says the sigma 70-200 fixed 2.8 lens works for her for volleyball, then she has another lens for soccer. I would rather spend a little more and just have to carry around 1 lens. Thanks for your input!!

tennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 1:28 PM   #4

I shoot both volleyball and soccer, I find the 70-200mm is a bit too long for the volleyball if you want more that one player in the shot. I use that lens for soccer and I have the sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 that works very well for the volleyball. I know you are looking for one lens to do it all,so I would have to go for the 70-200mm f/2.8, butthis lens is no small lens, no where near the kit lens.But ifyou are going to hand hold your camera you will need the speed of the f/2.8 lens for indoor shots.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:34 PM   #5

If you are looking for small, the two choices I would go with are:

1. Instead of the kit lens get the EF-S 17-85 f4-5.6(3.6" in length, 1 lb)

2. If 85mm isn't long enough, get the EF 70-300 f4.5-5.6 DO (3.9" in length, 1.6 lb)

Both of these lenses cost A LOT more than the kit lens.At B&H Photo, the 18-55 is $140, the 17-85 is $600,and the 70-300 is $1160, without rebates.

In comparison, the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 is 7.1" long, 2.8 lbsand costs $839. The biggest advantage of this lens over the DO is that it is much faster. If you don't need a fast lens, then a better choice than the Sigmamight bethe Canon 70-200 f4L. It's a lot lighter than the Sigma (1.6 lbs), only 6.8" longand costs $590.
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 6:38 PM   #6

I keep hearing good things about these lenses for the type of photographs you want to take. I have the 24-70 and love it!

Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-24-70mm-f-2.8-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

or the

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Ronnell is offline   Reply With Quote