Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:56 PM   #1

Iam new to forums and digital photography, but need help before my imminent purchase of a Digital Rebel XT. I want the camera for photos of the kids which include hockey shots, waterskiiing, etc. I am unsure whether to go for the kit lens and then save (due to budget constraints) for a lens for the more active shots (hockey rinks can be tricky, I understand) or whether to pay more now for the Canon 17-85mm IS lens and still save (but for a longer period) for a better lens for shooting in a hockey rink and from a farther distance to capture people waterskiing. Which lens would better suit my purposes while I save?

Is IS imperative for me? Should I buy a Canon lens, or can I maybe purchase a less expensive lens that will fit the camera but suit my purposes better?

Thanks for any help.:?
katiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:08 PM   #2

If I were to get my rebel again I would get either the 17-85 IS or the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 instead of the kit lens. That said, the kit is not that bad and is excellent value. If nothing else its a lens you could sell with the camera if you ever want to get a better body.

IS won't help you for your sports shots as it is the subject (not camera) that will be moving. You need a fast lens for sports generally - f2.8 or faster though water skiing in the day shouldn't need that. You probably want something a bit longer too, to get close to the action.
A good, very cheap starter kit would be the kit lens and the Sigma 70-300 APO. You will eventually want a better lens than the kit for general use and probably a 70-200 f2.8 for sport.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:37 AM   #3

start with the sigma 70-200/f2.8 EX lens...somewhere aroung 800 dollors.

thats a brilliant lens..

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:32 AM   #4

You could also look at the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 DG Macro lens. It is fast, way cheaper than the Canon 17-85mm and faster. It is an EX lens, so it has better build quality than the regular lenses. Image quality is very nice too. You can find this lens for around $400 US dollars.

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:26 AM   #5

Thank you all for your help!
katiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:23 AM   #6

I'll add my support for the canon 17-85. It has a great range and produces fairly sharp, colourful images. For the price it really is a wonderful lens.
jonathan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:32 AM   #7
Super Moderator

If you are going to start with just one lens then make it the 17-85.

Get used to your camera with that lens and decide down the road what else you need.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:30 PM   #8

Good work thinking about a lens before you buy. If your gonna be shooting fast paced action you may want to consider the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 lens that speedie said or a Tameron 28-75mm F2.8 Lens both are great lenses. IS would be helpful but IS only help if your shaking or unsteady. It doesnt help if the target is moving fast like in Sports. The only thing that will help you there is a fast shutter speed and that requires lots of light, a high ISO, or Low F stop like in the F2.8 range.

The best idea would be to find out if there is a place you can rent DSLR's and Lenses near you and try what they have to rent before you buy.

VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote