Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 13, 2005, 5:28 PM   #1

Ok - I just bit the bullet and purchased a Digital Rebel XT with the lenses I wanted. Now, I need a photo printer and good, solid software. Any suggestions?

By the way, I have an HP 1600 All-In-One printer, but have read that a dedicated printer for photos will print better quality photos. I have gone this far, I do not want to scimp on the software and printer.
katiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:43 AM   #2

Adobe Photoshop product line and Jasc Paint Shop Pro are probably the two top products in photo editing software. For me, photoshop has the edge simply because more people use it, there are more tutorials and more books so it's easier to get help. Photoshop CS2 is the current professional grade product - but it's very expensive (around $550 I believe) - a cheaper alternative is Photoshop Elements for around $100 - still a very powerful product. The Paint shop pro (PSP) product is very good - I still have an older version I use occasionally because it does some things much better than photoshop (red-eye for one - Photoshop does a terrible job of red-eye correction in my opinion). I believe PSP sells for around $120-$150 but I may be wrong. There are numerous other products - some even freeware that by all accounts do a very nice job for basic editing (cropping, levels adjustment, red-eye, basic color adjustments, etc). For a recommendation I would say Photoshop Elements.

On printers, Epson and Canon make some outstanding photo printers. I, my father and my brother-in-law all have various Canon models and they all work great. They all use separate ink tanks and the quality is amazing. My only issue, is that the ink dries up over time and is expensive. With on-line print prices down to around 0.12 - 0.15 for a 4x6 it isn't that cost effective to print at home as it was say 3 years ago. A good photo quality printer will probably run in the $270-$400 range. Which model you get (just like a camera) depends on what features are important - direct printing, large paper size, lcd review on-printer, etc...
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 8:32 AM   #3

Depending on where you live, Canon has some rebates out right now. In the US you can get a Double rebate on the XT and the Canon Pixma IP6600D (~$200.00).

A few things that you did not mention:

1) How much do you want to spend on a printer?

2) What size prints do you want to make?

3) Will this be dedicated or general purpose?

If you want one of the best printers for all different types of paper, sizes, long lasting prints, then the Epson Stylus Photo 2400 would be your best bet. It will run you about $800, but the prints are great.

For software, I believe the XT comes with Adobe Elements. This can be used to editing images. It can also be used for printing if you really wanted to. Most printers today come with there own printing software. I perfer to use QImage, as I seem to get better prints from this software than the supplied ones with the printers.

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 3:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the help!! I will probably print mostly 5x7's and 8x10's. I would like to get a printer for less than 500.00 if possible. It would be a printer for photo prints only.
katiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 4:43 PM   #5

I have a Canon i960 and love it. I make 5 X 7 and 8 X 10 prints and an occasional borderless 8.5 X ll. The 6 color successor tomy i960 is the Pixma 6000D which also includes an LCD screen. The Pixma 8500D expands tothe 8 color system formerly used onCanon's large format i9900. Both are fine printers and can be had well under your limit leaving$$ for extra ink and paper. PS. Canon Photo Paper Glossy is excellent as is the higher end Konica Minolta glossy paper. Both make dynamite prints you will want to show off to friends.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 5:44 PM   #6

I have the Canon i960 and the Canon IP 4000. Both are excellent photo printers. They will produce excellent prints in the sizes you have stated. I have Photoshop 7 and Photoshop Elements 4 (both made by Adobe). I use the Elements package almost exclusively.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:11 PM   #7

I use Photoshop Elements 2 most of the time. Sometimes Photoshop 7. And I also have Microsoft Digital Image Pro 10, which I think is a very good program for it's $50. It comes with 2 CDs . There are hundreds of hi-resolution images, templates for calendars, frames, greeting cards, etc. I also like photoshop Elements 4. After trying it I will most likely buy it.
My printer is Canon 9900. I just love it. Makes stunning prints up to 13 x 19. I think it's around $400 now. For prints up to 8.5x11 you can get Canon Pixma 8500 for even less.
Canon makes great paper but it's a bit expensive and doesn't have a big choice. I personally prefere luster paper. Canon doesn't make it, so I use Epson Premium luster and Staples (yes!) photo supreme paper.

Good luck with your purchase!
AK-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 1:35 AM   #8

As with anything there is trade offs for printers.

Dye-Sub's: set price per sheet be it 4x6's or 8x10's but cost in the $.50 to $2.00 range per page mattering on size. They can be waterproof and UV protected for longer life. They do cost more than labs but less than injets in most cases
The Kodak 1400 and the Olympus P-440 ar ehighly recommended by Steve's reviews

Labs: cheaper than any method but high quality but you have to pickup the prints but its far cheaper than ink and paper They also can be waterproof and UV protected for longer life. You lose some control over you images and you have to drive somewhere to pickup the print or wait for them to be mailed

InkJet: the only Inkjets I have been impressed buy are the high end Epson and HP ones and they cost $500-$1000+ and the ink and paper costs are not set so they can be more or less based off the size, and ammount of ink. Plus some system require ink flushes and most require cartridge sets but the singles are chep but when you need to have 8-10 different colors at 12.00 per cartridge that adds up and you have to have extras on hand incase you run out.

VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 7:56 AM   #9

Canon R800, for A4

R1800 for A3 or top dog the R2400.

Hard to beat these three.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 9:54 AM   #10

I'm a fan of the Epson line of printers. They sell a wide variety of high quality papers that are made to work well with their printers. You get profiles for their papers with their printers and they are fairly good (very good on the "pro" line of printers.) And because their printers are so popular it isn't hard to track down paper profiles for other companies papers.

The "R" line is the non-professional line, but that shouldn't stop you from considering them. They are quite good.

Canon's printers have gotten much better over the last few years (the i9900 being a great example) and assuming the technology from that high end printer has been pushed down into the smaller models they should be considered as well.

I've heard good things about QImage for printing. It offers a lot more flexability in layout and printing multiple images. And the output is supposed to be very good. I've never used it, but the people that I know who do like it a lot.

If you have PS Elements use it and see how you like it. Adobe offers a variety up grade deals to whatever is the current version of PhotoShop. Often all you need is the serial number for some version of Elements and you're all set. That cuts the price down to about $299... much better than the $550-600 that the full version costs.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote