Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 26, 2005, 6:49 AM   #1

hey guys, i'm just about to make my purchase but before that. i'd like to know what the more experienced photogrophers think of the package i made for my self and if you see that things can be improved/ changed.

what i had in mind right now is:
Canon 350D w/ kit lens
Sandisk ultraII 512MB
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO

just incase you're wondering, my main subjects for photography are cars, motorsports and some other misc photography (usually buildings and other structures)

so guys what do you think am i getting alot too fast, or can the list be made better?
also i didnt go for the expensive lenses coz i want to go slow and first learn how to use the camera and then go for the good stuff .

Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 7:13 AM   #2

Did your research I see...
Excellent choice for starter!
IMO you can pay a lot more for the 'good stuff' and not getting any better :lol: :-) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:23 AM   #3

I generally agree with NHL (I often do...)

I see a problem, though. If you really want to photograph big things like buildings then 50mm won't be wide enough. I started with the 28-135 and while a much wider lens than you have it wasn't wide enough when I wanted to photograph fall foliage (i.e. good sized trees.) I ended up getting the Canon 17-40mm and that did it. Then I could frame the entire tree the way I wanted.

Unfortunately, that lens is rather expensive. It is very, very good... but it might be wasting money if you aren't going to use it that often. So check out the sigma's in that range. I don't know which are good (as I haven't needed to research them) but others might.

Other than that, you're choices look good to me. You might find that you'll need a bigger/more CF space... but that is easy to add later!

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:39 PM   #4

Thanks NHL and eric .

it took me a really long time to get to that setup and honestly its what i feel most comfortable with as a start and it wont burn holes thru my pockets hehehehe.

And eric as for buildings i think those kinda pics every now and then so spending on wide lens would be pointless atm atleast :-).

thanks for your replies guys, your input is highly appreciated .
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 6:55 AM   #5

Basically that is what I started with when I bought my 300D. I did start with the kit lens but added the Canon 50mm for indoor sports. It should do you quite well. You may want a wide angle for buildings but all in all I would say you made some good choices. Enjoy!!!

p.s. take a look at a 1gb card. I got mine on Ebay for a decent price. If you are anything like me going to a motorsports event I tend to take a LOT of photos and the 1gb card is great. I went to an airshow this year and shot over 700 pics using a 1gb and a 512mb card. Also the other thing I would add to the list is an extra battery or two.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:50 AM   #6

You can always add a wide angle lens later. Nothing wrong with delaying if you don't think you'll use it much.

Get the gear, have fun taking pictures and over time you'll find out what you need. Then get it. By the time you find the weaknesses in your gear you'll have saved some money and you'll know you actually need it. The goal is to get the stuff that actually helps you take better pictures. With all the hoopla surounding gear, there is a desire to "keep up with the Jonses" but you should resist that (it sounds like you are.)

Use what you got, figure out what you need, then expand. And you'll be happier and have saved money at the same time.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 2:30 PM   #7

This sounds a lot like my starter kit on the 20D. I used the kit lens (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6) for the wide angle stuff (I'll be looking into a 17-40 shortly). It's a pretty decent lens, but it's not nearly as sharp as I'd like it to be. I then bought the new 70-300mm f/4 IS USM (The IS is AMAZING by the way). If you're a little shaky or want to use longer shutter speeds I'd definitly recommend the IS. I use that for all my outdoor / bird shots. It cost about $600 from Amazon. I'm also looking to buy the 50mm f/1.8 II shortly for some indoor sports. I think that's a pretty decent start.

Also, definitly look into a higher capacity memory card. I find that I almost never have to switch out my 2GB Microdrive ($80 shipped on ebay, with PCMCIA adapter for my laptop). Shooting raw on the 20D it gives just under 200 shots. I also tend to be one of the shutter-happy people that then go back and pick out a few good ones, so I might shoot a little more than others.

The only concern with your list that I have is the motorsports. If you're shotting outside most the time you should be fine with the 70-300 f/4-5.6. If you can get close the 50mm will be really nice, but if any of it is going to be indoors and you can't get too close you might consider a faster zoom. Granted, you can always decide later as well.
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 4:41 PM   #8

you'll find 1GB CF for $50 at newegg.com
SuicideSquadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:12 PM   #9

I would recommend th Sigma 70 -200 EX F2.8 add an extender to get to 300 MM still at F4. In a tele lens the extra speed definately comes in handy.

I also purchased the Tamron 28-70 F2.8and the 50 1.8. I never use thee 50 1.8 because the Tamron is a zoon is fast and just as sharp as the 50 1.8.

My next lens will be the 17-40 F4L and any future lens I buy will all have internal focusing. I find I like the Internal focusing on thr Sigma a lot and the Tamron irritating with how it zooms.

Also you might want to look into getting a flash. I purchased the Canon 580 EX with the external power pack and find it to be very useful with my slower lenses.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:46 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I think you've picked out a great starter set, probably just about the best value-for-quality selection you could get.

Before you spend loads of money upgrading any of those lenses you can give them all a software upgrade.

Try out DXO Optics, it will make your "cheap" lenses give results that I bet most people couldn't tell from one of their expensive L lenses. :blah:

It will also cut down on the time you spend in Photoshop. In fact if I had the choice of buying Photoshop CS2 or DXO Optics + Photoshop Elements I'd definitely go with the latter and save myself some time and money.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote