Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 1, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1

I have just bought a Sigma 18-200 DC zoom lens for my 350D and found that pictures taken at the wide angle settings are all out of focus at the edges. Thecentre of the picture is sharp as expected. Is this a normal phenomenon or is there something wrongwitheither the camera orthe lens? Pictures taken at the wide angle using the standard bundled Canon 18-55 lens do notexhibit this problem.
AshV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 10:14 PM   #2

I had this lens and sold it because I wasn't happy with picture quality. I didn't notice edge softness in particular though.

Keep in mind that lens choices are all about compromise. A wide range zoom doesn't have the image quality or the speed of a more specialed lens. And more specialized lenses don't have the convenience of the wide zooms... If someone made an 18-200 lens that was sharp and fast at all focal lengths and apertures, there wouldn't be a need for any of the other many, many lens choices. You have to decide which is most imporant to you.
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote