Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:34 PM   #1

I am planning to get the 20D. I have decided to go with 20D body,

sigma 18-50 f2.8 for canon as the started kit. I will be getting the sigma 70-200f2.8 sometime later in jan or feb after i savesome green paper.

Canon 50mm F1.8

Scan Disk ultra II 1GB CF card,

A good carry bag(havent decided what to get, some help here would be great)

Can you guys help me if i left anything else with the set up. Any help would be greatful.

waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:46 PM   #2

Hi there Vivek

I would add to that:

Remote switch

Good tripod

all the best and good shooting :|

inness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 2:50 PM   #3

Thanks Bob,

But i am just deciding on the lenses. I know i am getting the 70-200mm f2.8 later. I want to get a good carry on lens. I thought 18-50 is good for some wide angle as well as potraits. It would be great if u guys guide me on the lens.

waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 8:58 PM   #4

Based on your post I'd say you put some pretty good thought into your choices.

Maybe this is a little off the wall, but I use a Pelican water/crushproof case for my 20D, which I like.

I would say if you got the 18-50 zoom, it might preclude you from buying the 50mm F1.8, as your zoom already covers that focal length.

Although the 50mm F1.8 is pretty inexpensive and could be your "low light" lens.

If you bought the 70-200 later (nice choice, the Sigma F2.8), you'd have a "hole" between the end of your 18-50 zoom and the start of your 70-200.

However, that's not the end of the world, really., 20 measley mm's.

Another option is the 17-85 Canon IS lens. Although it's F4, with the image stabilization, etc. etc. some people like that lens.

Anyways, some food for thought.

-- terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:53 AM   #5

I have the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and Love it. This is a very sharp lens. It focuses a little slower than the Canon, but takes really really great pictures. I also have the 50 1.8 and absolutely never use it. I purchased the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and it is just as sharp as the 50 1.8, but with zoom.

Also, the 20d has such high ISO you probably want see much differnce between 1.8 and 2.8. I would ship the 50 and get the Tamron.

I am upgrading from a Canon Digital Rebal to the 20D soon, I have several third party lenses and low end Canon lenses. However, for my general shoot around lens I must have the canon 17-40 F4L. This lens has the best colors I have ever seen and if in low light situation I have the 580EX....

minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote