Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 15, 2005, 4:10 PM   #1

i've got a 350D with the kit lense.
Which settings should use when shooting:
-At night
-Landscape during day (perhaps sunrise/sunset)
-Wildlife during day
-Pics of people indor/outdoor (day)

yeah yeah i'm a n00b...but i'm mostly curious what kind of settings you guys use.

SuicideSquadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:16 PM   #2

I would recommend getting a good book to teach yourself how to use an SLR. Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson is an excellent book.
To give yourself a quick guide, use the auto settings on your XT and note what the camera chooses. The camera itself is pretty smart and will provide a starting point.
I would doubt you will get many answers to this question, the settings are widely varied depending on the effect you want, and understanding exposure is the key to knowing what effect you will get.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 5:50 PM   #3

I'm pretty much a newcomer too,

but after the first month or so, >90% of my shots are in Av (aperture priority) mode.

With the kit lens, you'll probably need to use a flash indoors. For this case, I usually set to M (manual), set ISO to 400/200, shutter at 1/200s, and f/8. But this setting will only light up your subject. It's a rather harsh lighting setting and (usually) unappealing. It's been almost 6 months and I'm still having a hard time with flashes... Which is why I avoided it most of the time by getting a fast aperture prime.

If you do just stick to one type of mode, then the only two(or three) main things you're going to worry about are: ISO, Metering, and possibly white balancing.

-I can usually have 100ISO during a bright day. At night, it'll probably have to go to the max ISO, but noise may ruin a picture. If you can afford the slower shutter, i would try to avoid ISO 1600.

-Metering is probably one of the hardest to cope with (at least for me). The default is average metering across the image. Usually, that's fine. But once you're trying to take something with a large lighting contrast (IE a white circle in a black background), you're probably going to have to use partial metering(the one that looks like [( )] ). This will only take the lighting conditions in the center of the image. A good tool that will warn you of bad exposures is the Histogram.

-You'll have to worry about white balancing if you don't like post processing or if you're not taking flash photography. Most of the time, the default will work... But once you go indoors with light bulbs and flourescent lighting (and you don't use flash), the colours in your pictures are not correct (most of the time, there's more yellow in the pictures)

There are WAY too many settings for a given condition... It depends on what you do to take the picture. Do I want a group shot? am I going to use a flash? Do I want to isolate a subject? Is the subject moving? What kind of lighting condition is the subject in? What type of mood do I want to create? blah blah blah... but some general defaults:

-landscape demands large DOF (and such, small aperture (8 and lower))
-portraits (one person) outdoors (and indoors) can demand small DOF (large aperture (2.8 and higher)), you'll probably want a lower aperture for groupshots
(~4 or lower)
-wildlife probably demands a very fast time shutter (> 1/500s)

-for other settings, it's totally up to you depending on what you're taking, etc.

After a while, you'll naturally get use with changing every little setting. At first, I had a difficult time remembering my ISO setting and then I'd go out in a bright sunny day using ISO1600. Just make sure you read the XT's manual and get use to the technical terms... because from there on, photography will be based on your creativity.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:12 PM   #4

I've been shooting with an SLR for years and a digital SLR for about 3 years now. eosthree has a very good suggestion, I just finished reading my copy of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson for the 4th time. Amazing what you forget when you don't use it everyday. This book will be about the best $25 you spend.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:55 AM   #5

thanks for the replies, i ordered understanding exposure...it was actuslly only 15 from amazon :G i read the mastering dslr photography but it didnt really go that much in depth
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:41 PM   #6

that was an awesome book...it was ALOT of help thanks again for the tip