Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:28 AM   #11

Sometimes it is the gear that is the limiting factor, contrary to some opinions. Obviously 1/125 was needed to stop the action. You were limited to a maximum aperture of f/5.6. The situation calls for faster lense and/or flash if that is an option.

A few things you could have done when 5.6 was flashing, and they are all comprimises:

-Adjust ISO to your highest setting (increase noise)

-Reduce your shutter speed (subject to blurring subject)

-Decrease your focal length, which opens up the lense to f/3.5 at 28mm (requires cropping image)

-Activate your popup flash if allowable (distracting to the performers)

-Reduce the exposure compensation and hope to recover the raw image from the underexposure (lower quality image, don't forget to reset EC back when done)

-Probably other techniquesI am not aware of

I do a lot of review of the EXIF data comparing it to the setting. I'm trying to set up situation rulesas base lines tostart from depending on the situtation (indoor, outdoor, action, depth of field) and I'm going to try to remember to grab a Program Mode reading before dialing in. Regards-
fitzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:30 AM   #12

I am just learning, and I just want to thank you (Africa) for the way you explain this, it helped mealot. I like to read and learn.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote