Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 4, 2003, 5:44 PM   #1
Default If not a 10D then what?

While the 10D sounds real tempting, I am curious on resons to wait for something else and what? I have never owned a SLR and have a lot to learn, but am on my third digital camera. Each one brings more knowledge. From the little that has come out of the PMA, there are the Olympus 4/3 camera and a Pentax entering the field, but not as soon as the 10D. While these first generations are competing against a third generation, and a time factor, I am wondering what these may bring to the table. Will NiKon and Fuji bring out somethin? The Olympus looks to have some good low light lens -f2? Correct me if I am wrong. Assuming these will be in the same price catagory. Does anyone thing the Olympus might be able to gain from the experience of others?

I shoot, have fun and learn, I don't need a SLR but want one. I had been wanting a D60 but look at how bad of a camera it has become since (poor focus?) since the 10D. I could wait for the 4/3 or I could get a 10D now. The Minolta 7i has treated me ok. DO I step up now or later?
Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2003, 2:57 AM   #2

Hi Ken,

When to "jump" into a dSLR is always a question which one finds difficult to answer. Also, which to choose is another.

Essentially, I think you must look at it like this: you are purchasing a "system" when you decided to make the move. You will be collecting lenses and peripherals over the years and camera bodies will come and go but the lens system will remain.

There are three major lens systems for 35mm venue dSLR's. They are Sigma, Canon and Nikon. Right now, Canon lenses work with Canon cameras only. Sigma makes lenses for multiple brands, but the lens they make for their own cameras (SD9) only work with Sigma bodies. Nikon lenses work with Nikon, Kodak and Fuji camera bodies. Which to choose???

From the issue of choice alone, Nikon makes a lot of sense because you are not presently locked into one camera manufacturer. But as with all technology, manufacturers frequently "leap frog" each other and at present Canon has the more versatile lens selection - at least as I see it.

Sigma is pretty specialized, and looking into the future, one doesn't know where the SD9 is headed - or even if it will survive as a viable entry in the dSLR race. So from a practical perspective, it's probably not the best choice.

Canon is definitely setting the trend as price/performance leaders. The D30 was revolutionary. The D60 was evolutionary, but offered the first affordable six megapixel solution (Kodak's pro models were extremely expensive for the masses) and offered tremendous bang for the buck. Yes, there were problems such as mediocre autofocus, but Canon couldn't produce them at the rate they were selling, and they are still a viable product offering tremendous quality images.

Nikon released the first truly affordable pro-level digicams with their D1 - D1X - D1H, and their D100 has been available all along and at a better price than the D60. Out-of-camera image quality was not quite as good as the D60, but most images from these cameras need some digital darkroom tweaking anyway, and the features on the D100 were hard to argue with. As for feature set, it trounced the D60 thoroughly.

Then there was Fuji. Stellar images once they worked the bugs out of the S1 - but overpriced for the competition and mediocre body and features. Then the S2 came along and produced some of the best images available from a six megapixel platform. Still, there are things to hate about the S2, and the price has been a bit too high to be truly competitive. Now Canon steps up and does it again with the 10D. Simply a better D60 - no question about it. All the great things the D60 has and does and much more at a bargain basement price.

Kodak is still floundering with their new mega-megapixel 14n, after being the industry leaders in the 35mm venue since 1995. Their future is uncertain. They have attempted to split the market from their former pro-level Nikon body winners to a cross-over platform which "could" have been dynamite had they been able to produce image quality like their DCS-560, 660, 760 - but they have as yet failed to convince the market that they can produce a viable product here. Late to market and still not quite right.

Nikon, at least for now, has been a no-show with anything new. This "could" change in a heartbeat, but I suspect they think they can ride a discounted D100 as a competitor to the 10D. Whether or not they will succeed is still to be decided.

In essence, there has been no better time to jump into the dSLR game than now. You can choose Canon, Nikon or Fuji and all are winners. My advice is to choose a lens system, the pick a camera body to go with. Truthfully, the 10D, D100 or S2 will each produce superior images and all will challenge one's skills as a photographer. There will "always" be a new and better camera body lurking just around the next bend. You can't learn to swim if you don't jump in, and the river continues to flow with you or without you.

Best regards,

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 9:35 AM   #3
Default Just made the leap

Thanks for your wonderful posts. I think you saved me from making a mistake. I was considering getting a Sigma S9 until I saw your one of your reviews on this board. The price seemed to be too good to pass up. Now Canon has come along with a Camera that costs even less with all the features of the D60 (my original choice). I compromised on lenses, ordering a Sigma 17 - 35 zoom and a Canon 28 - 200 zoom (without IS). I think this will be enough for the short term. Long wait before everything ships, but I think it'll be worth it. Digital verses film? I've taken excellent photos with my Nikon Coolpix 5000. Just can't do weddings and some of the other pro-level things with it.

wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:05 PM   #4
Default Re: Just made the leap

I started with an Elan 7 and a 24-85 lens and had a great time and got alot of great pictures. I have since bought and still have a D30 and just got a 10D. In addition I have upgraded to the 28-70 L 2.8 and the 100-400 L IS 4-5.6. I can tell you without any reservation that while one camera has more or less bells and whistles the most important decision I made was to go with the better lens. Shots taken on each camera with the L series versus the regular line will blow your mind. I suggest you go to a local shop, take your camera and try both lens and then print both on a high quality printer. The sharpness of the better lens will be all you need to convince you.
eosjeff is offline   Reply With Quote