Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2005, 2:03 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm taking the big leap into the DSLR world and have pretty much decided on the 20D based on features and price. It looks substantially better than the Nikon D70s, and I wasn't extremely impressed by my friends new D50. The Nikon D200 looks tempting, of course, but I can't justify the cost.

So on to my big question - should I buy the 20D now or wait until Feburary/March when the (rumored) replacement is due? Obviously I'd love to have it now, but I don't want to rush into it if:

1) The new model is more advanced (more MP, etc.) but the price is similar

2) The new model means that there will be bigger rebates on the 20D

I haven't been following Canon's MO over the years, so I'm curious as to how they operate. Are they like HP where a new model is introduced every 1-1.5 years that replaces the current model at the same price?

Thanks in advance for any hints or suggestions that you have to offer.
xymantix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:54 PM   #2

It would be better to wait. Canon likes to allow the existing inventory levels ofacurrent model to go way down before introducing its replacement. This usually means fewer reduced priced older models than you would expect. It's still better to wait until Feb.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:34 PM   #3

I would rather wait as price of current 20D will drop more. It is only a month or so before a new model is announced.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:03 AM   #4

Day old bread is cheap but it isstill day old bread. I'm waiting until the new one and will buy it about 3-4 months after it's launch to read reviews, etc. The 20D is cool, but whatever replaces it will be cooler. The feature I'm hopingforare a larger LCD screen, perhaps 1/500flash synch like the Nikon, and brighter menu screen. Also, 10-11MP would be nice, perhaps even a larger sensor.

You should check the last month or so of posts in this forum.Your question has been asked a few times so far and you'll find more info in other posts.
speleojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback. I was already leaning toward waiting since I don't absolutely need the camera until April. I'll spend the next couple of months trying to pick out lenses instead
xymantix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:38 AM   #6

Waiting is foolish if you need the camera in April. DSLR's are very complex cameras and if you not used to SLR's are very hard cameras to learn in a day or a week or even a month. Some people who have shot for years with film are still learning digital so waiting is foolish if you need the camera for something becuse a 20D, with a cheap lens on auto mode isnt any better than an mid range point and shoot in the hands of a pro.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:46 AM   #7

It also depends on what you are looking to do with the camera. Sometimes newer isn't always better. I currently have the Digital Rebel and the Rebel XT came out just afew months after I bought mine. I went and looked at the Rebel XT and sure it has more MP and a few other bells and whistles, but I didn't like the way it felt in the hands. We are thinking of upgrading the the 20D soon and I may wait to see what Canon brings out next but from what I've seen of the 20D it meets and exceeds my needs. To me it's like computers, if you wait until the next BIG thing you will be waiting for ever. Also, Victor is right. It can take a while to learn the camera so you don't want to pull it our of the box and start shooting those precious moments without a little bit of practice.

Good Luck,

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:56 PM   #8

The updated model will be in high 1600. If u want to pay the extra 450 dollors over the currently available 20D u shud wait.

Also think about the advances over 20D this new one can have and how will that affect ur style of shooting. It may come with a better buffer, higher MP or who knows a bigger sensor.

No body knows that.

Whatever it is , the 20D looks like one of the best cameras for the price range and people are comparing D200(Nikon) with 20D. THe D200 is 1700. So if something is close enough to be compared to a 1700 and u get it for 1150, i would say go for it.

waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:45 PM   #9

You can get a used 20D for just over $900 on FM. You can have it within the week, and start learning how to use it and start taking pictures that could be worth a lot of money. Used 10Ds are still going for about $600-700, so it would make sense to me that for a couple hundred bucks you can use the 20D for 4 months before the new one comes out.

I very seriously doubt the new one will be cheaper. I also doubt that (at first) it will be the same price as the 20D. I'm guessing (purely speculative) that it will be $1699 at start, with some rebates for Christmas. First version will have some firmware bugs, and they will be fixed by summer.

So I guess the question is, can it wait, or is the current tool good enough for your use?
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:47 PM   #10

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote