Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2006, 7:46 AM   #1

I just bought a Panasonic fz30 a few months ago. Im just not totally happy with my purchase. I think im gonna stick it on ebay and get the camera i want.

I have heard the XT and 20d have the same ccd and picture quality. Then I have also read that the 20d takes better pictures. I just want to the 500$ difference to be justified to me before getting the 20d. If its just faster, then thats not worth 500$ difference to me. This is just a hobby and I dont think the camera speed is gonna matter to me that much. Im more worried about picture quality. Thanks for the help on this subject.
Stump1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2006, 5:23 PM   #2

I went through the same thing three weeks ago, and I got the XT ,and the 500$ you save, you could spend it on a good lens, as a hobbiest it's great camera, you could get the xt(body only)and the canon 17-85mm IS lens for about the same price of the 20D , good luck to you.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:05 PM   #3

The XT is an excellent hobbiest camera.

You will save $500 towards more lenses.

I would only recommend the 20D as an upgrade if you're at the semi pro level and need the build quality of the 20D and the few additional features.

My understanding is the 20D and the Rebel XT share the same sensor but the sensor has been detuned a little for the Rebel Xt.

However, I have seen some awesome photos come off the Rebel XT.

I think the photographer has more influence on picture quality than the very slight difference between how the sensor has been implemented on the XT versus the 20D.

Go for the Rebel XT.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:11 PM   #4

Go with the XT, and put the money you save into the 17-85 IS lens instead of the 18-55mm kit lens. Besides more range, you will have the benefit of the useful image stabilization. Remember that focal length is multiplied by 1.6 (in 35mm terms) on both cameras.
ropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:13 AM   #5

From your brief description, it does not sound like you need the added feature set of the 20d, but I'd like to be sure before I jump on the 'buy the xt' bandwagon. What types of photography do you do? What exactly is it about the pictures your getting out of your current camera that you don't like?

Also, features asside, do not underestimate ergonomics in the decision. I also strongly suggest going to a store that has both cameras and handling both. The two cameras are very different in terms of size / weight and somewhat different in terms of controls. That can be an important determination in terms of what camera to buy. You may find the 20d too heavy and cumbersome. You may find the 350 too small and akward. This is the type of thing no one here can help you with - it's completely subjective and up to you.

But, if you provide some additional details regarding why you're unhappy with your current camera and what types of photography interest you then we might be able to help you out. Also an important thing to note: a DSLR is not a cure-all. They take amazing pictures but require more work than a point and shoot. There are a number of people that end up surprised that pictures out of a DSLR are not as sharp or not as saturated or out of focus as compared to pictures taken from a point and shoot. One analogy might be: a digicam is like a car with an automatic transmission and a DSLR is like a stick shift. The stick can provide better performance but only when you know how to use it. Until you learn how to use it the results are often worse than what you did with the automatic. Not completely accurate, but you I hope you get the drift there is a learning curve with a DSLR before you see the results.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:44 PM   #6

John....that was a great reply. I was really into film SLRs a long time ago, got busy with family stuff and got out of it. I would have considered myself a "semi-advanced beginner hobbyist" back then. Times change, I started with a decent P and S digital, and eventually moved up to an XT. You are 100% correct. There are times where I have thought my little Fuji took "better" pics not realizing at the time it was not the camera, it was me.

With time and practice, I have been able to utilize the capabilities of the SLR more and have taken many pictures that the point and shoot would never have handled.

BTW, I drive a stick! Great analogy.
twkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:20 PM   #7

I've been pondering the 350d for a couple of months now, however I'm not sure what i should spend my hard-earned money on..

the 350d kit with the 18-55mm lens?
the 350d body only and a canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens (recommended by Ropp).

However, can someone jumping from a pro-sumer camera justify spending the £800 (vs the £550) on the extra lens?
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:09 PM   #8

One would assume a person is jumping from a pro-sumer camera to a DSLR is to have the benefit of detachable lenses, as well as other benefits.

Therefore, one would assume that the buyer might eventuallymove beyond the kits lens, and buy other focal length lenses depending on their photographic interests.

Having said all that, you could one of three things:

1) Buy the kit lens and get used to the camera, while you figure out the other focal lengths you may be needing.

2) Buy the body and the 17-85 which is certainly an upgrade from the kit lens, enjoy a great "walk around" lens, while you figure out the other focal length you may be needing.

3) If you are experienced, you have already figured out the lenses you will be needing, have a plan in place, and buy the DSLR body and then lenses based on your prioritized need.

If you don't have a clue, get the kit lens. If you have already justified the need for the better lens, buy the better lens and forget the kit lens.

If your experienced, buy the DSLR body and the first of the series of lenses you'll be needing based on your first priority.

-- Terry

Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:43 PM   #9

The XT and 20D do NOT have the same sensor, the XT's sensor has slightly more pixels (8.3m instead of 8.0).

They both use the same processor.

The 20D has several advantages tho:

Faster Shooting speed, 5fps instead of 3fps

Better built mirror lookup system - 100k shots as opposed to 50k shots

Better AF focusing, better in low light, this almost made me get a 20D.

Bigger, stronger metal body.

LCD info display on the top not the back.

More ergonomic menu and controls.

I bought an XT(350d) because it was smaller and lighter and most of the 20D's advantages meant little to me.
RobDickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 6:17 AM   #10

Another point to consider is the price on the 20D seems to be dropping.

I saw the 20D at B&H photo video for $1250 including the Canon 17-85 IS lens.

Thats a pretty hefy price drop from a year or two ago.

If you can afford the extra $400 and justify the features/lens, I think it's worth it.

-- Terry