Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2003, 12:23 PM   #1
Default Canon D60 Software and Photoshop

I'd like to throw out a thread that I hope generates some discussion. I'm a D60 owner, and I use Photoshop on Windows XP. My general workflow goes something like this:

1) Shoot RAW
2) Connect D60 to computer
3) Fire up ZoomBrowser EX to get RAW files from camera to computer
4) Use RawImageConverter2 to adjust WB and exposure compensation if needed
5) Use RawImageConverter2 to save the image as a jpeg
6) Open the jpeg in Photoshop to edit image

I just recently read WalterK's post on the new Adobe RAW plug-in and I'm using that utility to replace steps 4 and 5 now. Thanks Walter! Anyway, my real question is this: does anyone use a more efficient workflow process than this?

I'd like to eliminate step 3 as well and not use ZB EX at all, but the TWAIN and WIA drivers don't seem to work with Photoshop 7.0.1 and Windows XP so I can't get RAW images directly into Photoshop. When I connect the camera and fire up Photoshop, I try the following:

File -> Import -> WIA-EOS D60

The window comes up showing the images on the camera, but when I select one (or many) and click "Get Pictures" a brief window flashes up saying "Transferring Data" but it immediately comes back with an error stating:

"Could not complete the Import command because of a problem with the scanner."

I've tried this on 3 Windows XP machines with Photoshop 7.0.1 now and they all have the same problem with the WIA driver from Canon. I'm using the latest version of the WIA driver from Canon's website.

Anyone got a workflow that gets RAW images into Photoshop faster? Ultimately, I'm trying to achieve two things in my workflow:

1) Be able to quickly and easily get the RAW file off of the camera and saved to my computers hard drive so that I can archive it.

2) Get the image into Photoshop as quickly and easily as possible so that I can start editing it

Thanks in advance for what I'm hoping becomes a productive thread,

norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2003, 6:38 PM   #2

Hi, Norm,

Got your email, figured I'd respond here. I don't use WIN XP, so I don't know about those issures. I use WIN ME.

I found that the Lexmark Firewire card reader (purple one) is about 10-15 times as fast as using the camera's USB connection for downloading. Here is what I do:

1) I put the microdrive in the card reader.

2) I use Breezebrowser's free and wonderful "Downloader" to transfer my RAW files. I have the Downloader set up do read the card reader and download the files to a folder I named "MyDownloads.)
The Downloader places a folder that has the current day, in the form of YY-MM-DD. Thus, there is no chance of overwriting a folder.

If I'm using Adobe's converter, I then open Photoshop and use the browser, maximized, with the preview window spread out as far as I can while leaving two columns of thumbnails. Whatever I want to convert, I mark and then run a batch coversion on those that would use the same settings.

By the way, you can get a firewire card reader for about $30-$40, and once you use one you won't ever want to use the camera's USB again.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 9:17 AM   #3

I don't have a suggestion to make things faster, but I might be able to help make things better (but slower.)

You list in step 5&6 that you convert to jpg and then edit in photoshop. I would recommend against doing that. You should convert to jpg as late as possible in the editing. jpg is an 8-bit color format. That isn't bad if you don't make a lot of changes, but the more editing you do, the more the jpg artifacts get compounded and become more visible.

The parallel to this is that some processes in photoshop can only be done in 8-bit mode (not 16-bit.) This means that if possible, those processes should be done as late as possible in the editing as well. I can't wait until Adobe finally gets off its lazy butt and makes photoshop 16-bit clean.

So don't convert from RAW into jpg. Convert into Tiff. Yes, the picture will be bigger. But if you do lots of manipulation, the results will be better.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 9:31 AM   #4

Walter/Eric, thanks for the replies.

I had thought about using a card reader rather than the USB cable, and now that you mentioned it I will pursue that option. Firewire and USB 2.0 are much faster than the original USB so I'll look for a card reader that supports one of those connection types. That'll definately speed things along when I come back with 150 RAW images on the card.

I looked at the BreezeBrowser product but it looked to be roughly equivalent to the Canon ZoomBrowser EX so I just stuck with the Canon software to download and catalog the RAW files. If there are significant benefits to using BreezeBrowser, just let me know.

Eric, I did mention the conversion into jpeg in steps 5&6 but now that I'm using the Adobe RAW plugin that Walter mentioned I work in the native Photoshop format until I'm ready to convert to jpg. You're points are all well taken, and I definately wait until the last minute to convert to jpg now. Interesting information about the 8/16-bit operations inside Photoshop. I didn't realize that.

Thanks guys,
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote