Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:50 AM   #1

At the moment i am using a Canon Powershot A75 for some time now. But i want to move on to the DSLR.

I can get a 300D at a cheap prize. I read many reviews but i want to know what the users themselves think about the camera. I also know the 350D is far better but i want to know about the 300D. Are there many things i'm going to mis as a beginning photographer? How is the camera handeling high iso rates like 800/1600?

The lenses i want to use are:

Sigma 18-50 F3.5-5.6 DC

Sigma 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 APO DG Macro

p.s. I read something on this forum about missing the black and white option? Is this true :S Is it fixable with photoshop (with good quality).
Spauwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:30 AM   #2

If you have enjoyed the quality of the A75, you will love the pictures you will be able to take with the 300D. Of course, it's not the newest hottest camera around anymore, but it still takes great pictures. If you get it for a good price, I can only recommend it. Well, yes, compared to the 350D, the 300D has more noise at higher ISO levels. But it's still a lot less than you get with your A75. I believe that is correct, the 300D does not offer a B&W option, but every software program can convert a color picture into B&W. I would not make that a factor in deciding whether or not to get the 300D.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 3:02 PM   #3

My take is this:

The XT is selling for around $700 USD w/o lens or $760 with lens. There are significant improvements from the 300 to the 350. Unless you can get the 300 for less than $500, I would definitely go with the 350. You may even want to go with it anyway.

I had a 300d and had to replace it and upgraded to the 20d. Here are my thoughts on the 300:

Great picture quality. Very useable ISO 1600, huge upgrade from a point and shoot

What I didn't like about it that the 350 will improve upon:

On/off time, buffer handling, ETTL II vs ETTL flash - for me this was huge, FEC on camera without hack. I know there are others, but can't think of them off the top of my head.

As far as B&W - you can do that in any number of software packages. So, I wouldn't let an in-camera B&W option drive a decision. Even if you do predominantly B&W work - you'll get better results converting in software than a camera algorithm will give you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 4:46 PM   #4

Yes i understand. Thank you for the repley's. I think i will go for de 300D because i can get it form a friend of mine in perfect shape for €400,-. I can indeed do a B&W in photoshop thats no problem. Its my first big step in the SLR world. Thank you for the awnsers. More tips are welcome ofcourse.
Spauwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2006, 6:02 AM   #5

I have a 300D, have been using it for about two years. It was an upgrade to the G3 and I have to say that it has served me verywell. Ive taken thousands of photos with it and had success in photo competitions. I would love to be able to afford to upgrade (mainly because iphotograph a lot of wildlife and sport)but right now it is out of the question money Wise. I have the kit lens which is Ok for landscapes, a Canon 100-300 usm and a canon 28-105 usm. I purchased the latter twe on Ebay second hand and both have been good lenses. I would not upgrade to the 350D as it is way too small and I like a bigger camera. I recommend the battery grip and an extra battery if you are going to take a lot of shots in each session.

Here are a few photos Ive taken with the 300D, as you can see it is quite versatile in the kind of photos you can take but fast moving shots take some effort to learn the panning and the camera does suffer a little bit of lag, Learning to use photoshop or something similar is a good move as well

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 8:29 AM   #6

First off, these are some very nice shots alady. I too have the 300D and I've had it for almost 2 years. It has done well and we've enjoyed it.

Another thing to keep in mind is, have you ever shot with an SLR (film or digital)? There are some differences from point and shoots and it will take you some time to learn and master them. (I have yet to master much).

We just upgraded to the 5D for mostly portraits but it will be used for just about everything. I looked at the 350D when it first came out and after holding it, it didn't feel right in my hands, to compact.

I can recommend the 300D but for 400 euro or about 490 dollars, you could pretty much get a brand new Nikon D50. If you already have Canon lenses then it's a no brainer, if not, it's something to check into.

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:31 PM   #7

I suggest that you try the 300D/Digital Rebel and get to
know it well. I still use it with better glass like the
Bigma with startling results. You can always go up from
there as they say.:blah:

Also, it's alot bigger and nicer in the hand than the
350XT, IMOP especially with the vertical grip. Weight
or bulk is good with DSLR's despite what you may read...

Wayne Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2006, 10:10 AM   #8

Wow aladyforty, these are some fantastic photos! Congratulations to you - very interesting and well taken, all of them!

And Spauwer, these posted photos just goes to show that you do NOT need a fancy camera and heaps of super expensive lenses to get GREAT photos. It's much more to do with technique, skill (& practise) and of course seeing things as "photo opportunities" and maximising on them using a "camera eye".

I have and use350D (for about 4 months now) and it's great for me. I have nimble fairly small hands and the grip isn't a problem for me (though I do have to admit most other DSLRs ARE more comfortable). However for me the ISO quality and a few other features as well as Canon lenses I wanted made me go for the 350D for a good price end of last year. For some people grip is more important (bigger hands, etc). Anyway I find I usually cradle the camera between holding the base of the lens and the grip anyway, no matter what DSLR. (my walk around lens is the Canon 28-135mm USM IS, I also have the Canon 18-55mm kit lens and Canon 50mm f1.8 lens).

Spauwer, all the best with your plans / purchase.

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote