Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 31, 2006, 5:35 PM   #11

Hi SilentBob (where's Jay?)!

Firstly, Sel, yeah I love a lot of your photos, especially the perspective you took from "low down, near the ground" of various animals, very cool! (NZ is a lovely place, I'm originally from Tasmania, which is similar).

Yeah, I have to say there is a big emphasis on convenience sometimes (like a non DSLR) and also at other times you might want the power / quality of a DSLR. I have a Fuji F601 point & shoot which is with me all the time, and it produces good results for a "carry around anywhere" / basically pocketable camera. I've produced tens of thousands of photos with it over the last 4 years.

But I recently bought a DSLR (Canon 350D) which is of course much superior in quality and handling (just about 7 times as big / heavy!) I use the 28-135mm lens as my walk around lens. When I specifically need wide angle (or slightly better "macro" function) I use the kit 18-55mm and for low-light / special portrait work I use the 50mm f1.8.

I think you'll find the Nikon D50 and 18-200mm lens a good qualitypackage and also convenient. In many situations you'll get very good results. OK, admitedly not pro quality, but certainly good enough if you aren't a National Geographic photographer. All the best with it!

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote