Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2006, 7:46 AM   #11

For info I'm about to send back my second 30D, since it has a sensor as full of dust as the first one (which also went back). I'm a bit wary about using swabs or brushes of any kind to clean the sensor on a brand new camera since I've heard that it may technically void the warranty as Canon don't actually support anything other than using a blower to clear sensor dust. It seems to be a very grey area. I know I'll have to do it at some point, but hopefully nearer the end of my warranty period. Note that mine was much worse than the original poster in this thread, although mine also appears to have dust in the viewfinder as well (as did the first one I sent back).

I've started a thread on Flickr about this - will post updates there.

keithm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 1:56 PM   #12

Congrats Squirl on your 30d!! But don't waste your time feeling down about the dust. I first noticed my dust speck, just like yours, right after I brought my new baby home...20d that is and thought it was just my luck. I only had the one lens and NEVER took it off, had no reason to. Then THERE IT WAS IN ALL ITS GLORY right smack in the middle of all my pics. I got real mad, phoned up the Canon dealer and just like that they had me bring it in and like magic they removed it without telling me how they did it nor was I told that it would be a regular occurance.

It was a week later and the dust came back. I then did some research into sensor cleaning, bought one pack of wet wipe swabs and sensor cleaning liquid and a puffer all for about $50 bucks, used the wet wipe once and use the blower on the sensor every time I set up to do a major shoot for the swim club, about once a week. It only takes a second and just doing that little maintenance assures no dust in the pictures.

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 11:02 PM   #13

I went through three brand new 20Ds - all having dust on the sensor. I finally realized the clerk at the camera store that told me all new SLR camera will have dust on the sensor, was telling the truth. I settled on the third new 20D with its dust and realized I had to clean it. I, personally, use the Lens Pens and it works every time for me. It is sold on Arthur Morris' website, www.birdsasart.org It is alot cheaper than the other cleaning systems out there and it really works. I believe I paid $12 for the kit which consists of two different sized pens.

101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:11 PM   #14

I have a good quality air-brush compressor, one of the finest sources of clean air. I am thinking of using it to clean my camera sensor but I am still hesitant. I would use an old lens and blow on it to see if any residues are left. Even though there is a filter on the compressor outlet, any small particle can be a disaster (forpeople looking for perfection) for a small sensor.

I am not sure how good electronic compressed air in the can is. It should be clean enough. Again, I would do a test with a piece of glass and then use maginifing glass to check for any residues.

Also, another idea may be using CO2 can for airbrush (can buy one in wall-mart). Airbrush air always has to be clean and free of any moisture or oil residues so the same should apply to sensor cleaning.

I also had one or two dust particles on my new 30D but I would never bother returnig it for that. At least at the time I've purchased my camera there was a big demand on it and there was no luxury of being picky. On the other side, I know Murphys law always works so if I return camera for dust on the sensor something more serious may occur.

Unless there are a lot of dust spots I even do not think there is a reason to start cleaning. Those spots are visible only at high magnification and at bright background and they are easily removed in photoshop. I think even if you are carefull you can have more dust particles in your sensor by locking-up the mirror.

I was experimenting with clear plastic and vacuum forming. Having even the smallest dust particle will ruin hot plastic surface. I was never able to get rid of dust. Dust is always present in the air and cleaning the sensor should be (ideally and in theory) done in the industrial clean room.

GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:58 PM   #15

i have an airbrush compressor too, never thought of that... would using the airbrush itself as a "nozzle" risk introducing tiny contaminants onto the sensor? i can keep the pressure low, obviously, but it's been a while since i used an airbrush, and the nozzle itself may need some cleaning out...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:23 PM   #16

Again, I would test it first on the clean peace of glass and check with magnifying glass. If your compressor has good filter (oil and moisture one) than nothing should come out the nozzle.

I've tested Electronic equipment air can on DVD surface. It cleaned all the dust and I couldn't see any particles.

If we do a simple math (or check detailed specification), approximate size of one pixel on CMOS is about 6.5/1000 mm. Quite small to be even seen through regular magnifying glass. But, again, 'smudge' we can see on the picture at the beginning of the post 'covers' tens of pixels and that is what we care about. One 'regular' :-)dust particle is actually a piece of 'log' for sensor. And as somebody mentioned sensor is protected by piece of glass so dust is not sitting directly on the surface so it appears as smudge.
GM2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:04 AM   #17

Hi Sqirl,
Waiting to see what you can do with a macro lens with 30D as you have been doing some marvelous things with FZ.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:42 PM   #18

squirl033 wrote:
there's something on the mirror or sensor of my brand new 30D. i took it out for the first time today, and when i got home, i was dismayed to see a smudge in the top center of some of the images (it's only visible against a solid background). hereis a sample shot... you can see the dark smear in the upper middle. it's there in photos taken with 2 different lenses, so i know it's in the camera. can anyone suggest what it might be, and how to get rid of it? i'd hate to send the camera back for repair three days after i got it, but i don't want this smudge on my photos!!

I notice too more circular spots above the smudge near the very top of the picture. One is apx 45 degrees away, the other is above and just a bit to the right of the smudge. They are both very faint, the one on the right is very faint.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote