Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 11, 2006, 3:53 AM   #1

I'm heading to Yellowstone/Glacier for over a month in July. I'm thinking if I just get the D30 and the kit lens, I will be very short on versatility.

Since camera bodies lose value so fast these days, I'm wondering if the Xt and 70-300 is a better bet within my budget.
Gallatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:09 AM   #2

I agree...bodies lose value quickly, while lenses hold its own. I want the best of both worlds...so I buy previously owned bodies. The 30D is too new to get a bargain. The real bargain right now is the 20D. I picked up a mint condition one w/ about 6K shots and 3yr Mac ext warranty for $650 a couple of weeks ago. I must admit, I got lucky...avg. selling price for a used one is about $800-$850.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:09 AM   #3

I think that is probably the best idea. I want to go with a higher spec body and try not to have such a hit on value loss. Also I think if the camera can deliver every feature you want then you won't worry about new models that arrive. The 20 and 30D cameras have great resolution, great features so apart from tweaks and more MP not much will change that will help you take a better picture, the rest is up to you, lighting, lenses etc.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote