Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:44 AM   #1

I have a Canon A70 which I find I really love the shots from right out of the box. The only disapointment is the 1.5" lcd screen for playback but it is a might fine camera and photos don't need much tweeking.

Don't shoot me...but I bought a Pentax 1stdl DSLR. While I love the general featureset and certainly photos of the P+S A70 I couldn't spend $200+ on the Rebel XT over the Pentax for entry leve DSLR.

My question for all you Rebel users:

Do you get acceptable print quality photos right out of the gate with your DSLR or do you find you have to tweek them in a photo program?

With my Pentax I find that be it raw or jpeg it is best to tweek "levels" and unsharp mask in Photoshop before getting a nice image to print.

I am just shocked at how great the little Canon does out of the gate but how much work it is on the DSLR.

Is this the nature of DSLR or is Pentax just wacky and photos need tweeking?
corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:06 AM   #2

corvairfan wrote:
Is this the nature of DSLR or is Pentax just wacky and photos need tweeking?
It's a nature of d-SLR in general...

a) A P&S will always have a tremendous Depht Of Field (DOF) -> so a lot more thing will be in focus, but the other side of the coin is this'll make it harder to isolate your subject from the background which is quite a nice feature and why folks opt for d-SLR

b) The sharpness (level of processing) is adjustable on the d-SLR so you can crank it up (at the expense of loosing details) -> So most folks opt for preserving the data and process it later on their PC instead - This applies to contrast/saturation too...

c) You are not alone - I'm quite surpise at how some P&S perform (and ease of use)! :lol: :-) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:48 AM   #3

NHL is right on.

Most P&S cameras produce great photos under ideal circumstances. But try to get subject isolation (as NHL suggested) or take low-light photos or action shots and you start to realize the benefits a DSLR can provide.

I've gladly taken on more post-process work in order to get the shots I want.

In the end, the theory behind processing and a DSLR is this: the human eye and brain can do a better job of editing a photo than the tiny amount of processing power that can fit into a camera (tiny compared to the human brain). So, DSLRs in general do little processing to preserve details. As NHL indicated you can tweak sharpness, saturation & contrast up in the DSLRs so they behave more like point and shoots if that is what you prefer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:48 PM   #4

As already mentioned above, the problems you have with digital SLR's are exactly why many people should not ever consider one. Your findings are voiced on this and other forums fairly regularly by people who've bought their first DSLR's and can't figure out why they take more work.Digicams will almost always provide pleasing results straight out of the camera because of the intended end user group by the makers. I don't know that I can say I've shot more than 5 images (probably not that many)with a digital SLR that didn't require some sort of post processing to get the best possible result, but once that processing was done I've rarely ever been disappointed and you know, I knew that going into the process....actually, I WANTED that and most others do too- that's why RAW capture is so much more popular today, and people that don't want to expend the extra effortreallyshouldn't waste their time and moneybuyinga digital SLRbecause they will be disappointed, no matter the brand or model.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:26 PM   #5

Thanks for your re-assurance. I went DSLR because I prefer to shoot with a viewfinder and wanted sharper images and more mp's and I wanted exposure control and raw for post shooting flexibility.

Looks like I have the best of both worlds now. A great Canon point and shoot and a great value DSLR.

corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:01 PM   #6

I recently upgraded from a Canon G6 to a Rebel xt and love it!!

The camera is set to "Parameter 1" which is increased sharpening and contrast and they are awesome straight out of the camera.
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:31 PM   #7

I have a point and shoot and do alot of editing afterwards, usually with candids(never time to get settings exactly right).

Looking at the dSLR's by the end of the year.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote