Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2006, 7:23 PM   #1

I am about to spend 2 months in Southern Africa (1 month Safari, 1 month work) and would like some comments/suggestions for my kit. I will be going to Sth Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Zambia.
I will be taking the Canon 350D with Sigma 17-70mm, canon 50mm 1.8 and Canon 70-300 IS as well as my Panasonic FZ10 for backup. My 70-300 does show the portrait problem but only slightly. I will also take the Nikon 6T (+3) screw on macro lens which gives me reasonable macro quality for very little weight.
In terms of storage I have a 1GB and 2GB RiData 80x CF as well as a 60GB portable HDD, 1GB worth of SD cards for the FZ10 and a couple of card readers.
I have a monopod/hiking pole and a beanbag (not taking a tripod).
Batteries - 3 for each camera.
Cleaning tools - blower and a couple of sensor brushes & lens pen.
All of this will be carried in a crumpler sinking barge bag, well not the FZ10 as my parnter will be using that.

Am I missing anything? I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 6:36 AM   #2

bring your biggest firearm and some pepper spray and some flame throwers :-) :G

be sure to give me a shout when u in SA.

if u in Johannesburg.

email me for contact details....

bryce dot morgan at btgroup dot co dot za

cheers for now.
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:58 AM   #3

Don't forget the 375 H&H or the 404Ne.
D Humbarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:20 PM   #4

When you are in Namibia, make a point of visiting Sossusvlei. The photo opportunities of sand dunes and old weathered trees are fantastic. In Botswana, the Moremi Game Reserve on the Okavongo Delta is also very good for wildlife pictures, particularly elephants. style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Sossusvlei can be reached using a normal vehicle, although a 4x4 is preferable. However, a 4x4 in northern Botswana is a must. These are available to hire.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If you are going into remote areas, take along12 volt chargers for your camera batteries and your 60GB memory device,so that you can charge these in the car while you are on the move.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Assuming that you will be visiting game parks, the 300 mm lens that you mention will be adequate for most situations involving larger animals. (I use a 70-200 most of the time, together with a 1.4 extender.) However,you might want something a bit longer if you want to capture birds.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Tony

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
APM is offline   Reply With Quote