Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:47 AM   #1

Since it is July 4th here in the States. What suggestions would you guys have for taking shots of fireworks with a Canon 20D. I'm a newbie and just found out a friend of a friend who owns a fireworks store is selling us 2 or 3 truckloads worth at cost so we can have a nice show tonight. Thanks in advance and have a safe 4th of July.
CheungWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:17 AM   #2

Use tripod with remote release.

Lens depends on what affect you want so I suggest a zoom.

Shoot ISO 100, aperture around f8-f11.

Manual focus - set the focus on an object of relative distance

Set mirror lockup.

Set camera to bulb mode

Release shutter just before burst goes off and leave open during the 'fade' (where the burst starts to fall) - probably about 2-4 seconds.

You should be good to go. Change focal lengths for the affect you're looking for.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:14 PM   #3

I use f2.8 to freeze a shot, for streaming effect I use f8 with 1-2sec or less. I use manual focus on infinity, got a few great shots on Canada Day.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips guys. JohnG you were absolutely right and I was able to capture a few really nice shots in between having to light and set up explosives for everyone in attendance. I'll post them shortly...thanks again.

I've got a huge AAU basketball tourney (Nike Peach Jam) coming up later on this month and I'll try to find a 50mm lens 1.4 or 1.8 to see what kind of results I can get. After I close on my new house and get some necessity furnishings hopefully I'll have enough money left to purchase the 70-200 2.8 Sigma so I can get some great HS football shots.

I see you're from Ohio JohnG. I'll be in Cincy for the Kirk Herbstreit Challenge in September and I'll be sure to post those photos as well.

Thanks as always guys.
CheungWah is offline   Reply With Quote