Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:11 AM   #1

I have been looking into buying the canon 5D.* I have been looking on-line and the price range is $1759-$3299.* Why is there such a difference in price?* Anything I should know before I buy?Thanks,Steve
torresmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:32 AM   #2

The first, most basic understanding you should have of online sellers is they are not all created equal. Go to any website that lets people give feedback regarding the practices of online sellers, like this one:

As an example, this is a good store:

This is a BAD, BAD store:

ANYONE selling at a low-ball price is just baiting you to go to their website. Unfortunately, there are thousands of people who buy by the lowest available price- the absolute worst mistakeanyone could make, butthat's why these type sellers exist. Don't be blind to the fact you do get what you pay for. There are legitimate pricesfor a 5D. If someone is selling way below market YOU need to use some common sense and do the homework necessary to know what you should expect to pay for one. Otherwise, you will get taken advantage of and these onlinescam guys have NO qualms about what they do, so be warned up front and know what you are getting into with whoever you deal with. $1759 is a crazy price for a 5D...anyone should be able to recognize and write that store off emmediately.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:40 AM   #3

I especially like this website which shows you pictorially many of the questionable Brooklynstorefronts (if you can call some of them that)with low price, bait-and-switch, hard-up-sell, sell each and every piece that comes in the original box at $$$ more each piece, or yell at you and refuse to sell because you do not fall for their tactics: http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/...

and after you look at their ratings as mentioned in the previous post ...

I suggest you stick with the real discounters, such as buydig.com, etc.or the old reliables, B&H, Adorama, etc.

Oh, on edit, you can often tellthe BAD places by the fact that they REQUIRE you to call them to "confirm" or "verify" your internet order ... so thay can hard up-sell you, etc. Most GOOD places do NOT require such thing, and call you ONLY if there is a legitimate problem.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:00 PM   #4

Thanks steve for all you help
dskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:09 PM   #5

Your welcome.* Post some pics with your new camera soon.
torresmd is offline   Reply With Quote