Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:30 AM   #1

I am aquite new Rebel XT user and I am not so happy with my kit lens (18-55mm).

Right now I don't have much experience with it so I would not buy a new lens untill I will know what are the limitations of the kit lens (of course first is the 3x zoom factor, and some mechanical problems).

First I rather prefer to test some converters both for close-ups and tele. I understand the converters are much cheaper (watching forums I didn't seea "best" lens for macro or for tele - except the very expensive lenses).

So if somebody works with some converters please send a reply!

Thank you!
vidiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 5:53 AM   #2

For close-up you can use diopters:

A teleconverter is for telephoto lenses only (some won't fit your lens), but if you get a generic brand like Kenko it'll will work your kit lens. They come in two magifications: 1.4x or 2x, the 1.4x will cost you one f-stop, but the 2x two f-stop

A 1.7x is probably best, but it doesn't come in Canon's mount (more magnification but only a stop just like the 1.4x)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:55 AM   #3

thank you very much for your answer.

The link you sent is very interesting and I started to understand the principles involved in the lenses (eventhe strange fact thata tube is a very good magnification lens.....:-))

Best regards!
vidiac is offline   Reply With Quote