Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2006, 4:42 PM   #1

[Insert subject here]

Or, does it really matter?
fireserphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2006, 11:18 PM   #2

IMHO. Nikon makes the best. Their polarizers have the most neutral grey color and their glass is bigger for it's thread size, which tends to avoid vignetting. Canon makes the next best, and third would be Pentax. Independent makers like Hoya make okay polarizers but they tend to have weaker mounts, smaller glass surface for their thread size and have greater color cast. I don't know why neutral grey polarizers are so hard to make, but compare them at a camera shop against white paper and you can see a great range of tints. The one thing I don't like about the Nikons are their thick overbuilt mounts making them twice as thick as a Hoya mount. I accidentally ran over my Nikon polarizer with my car and though the mount is scratched, I still use the filter - it's built like a tank.

I've owned all the brands mentioned in my search for the perfect polarizer, but I don't use UV's very often, though if I did I'd be inclined to go Nikon despite the extra cost.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 7:28 AM   #3

Hoya and B+W are two highly respected companies - you just want to get multi-coated filters. I happen to use Hoya as they were slightly less $$ than the B+W. A site that often has the best filter prices is:

They have excellent prices (which are often lower when you put an item in your basket), are reliable and very prompt. I buy all my filters from them.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:04 AM   #4

Don't forget Heliopan: http://www.hpmarketingcorp.com/heliopan.html
(if anyone still remember Zeiss Softars... )
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote