Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:33 PM   #1

I here it's not good to shoot in mid day sun alot. if i was to what type of filters or other equipment should I use. I like taking photos of landscape, people and pets. I have a Canon rebel xt.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:32 PM   #2

The reason most seasoned photographers don't like to photgraph in the mid-day sun is that the shadows and lightingare very harsh. I'm not sure if filters will help much. The problem is that the mid-day sun is a very smalland verypowerful light source resulting in harsh shadows and washed out colors compared to an overcast day or compared to sunrise and sunset.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:31 AM   #3

The biggest issue with mid day sun is its intensity especially with digital cameras where most of their dynamic range are limited: If one tries to expose for the highlights then the shadow details are lost, and vice versa the highlights are blown if one tries to expose for the shadows.

-> For pets or people one can use shades or reflectors to control the lighting or shadows
-> For landscape a graduated ND filter can tone down the highlighted areas

The larger the sensor the better the dynamic range is, and why some folks need a full-frame or larger format cameras (with true 16-bit captures)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote