Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:32 AM   #1

I think I know why the 5D showsonly 95% of thepicture that it will capture.

After using the lens distortion filter of CS2you need asignificant margin around all of your shots to allow for pincusion or barrel distortion and vertical perspective correction.

I have 3 L zooms, 17-40, 24-105, and 70-200, all f4 and the 5D. Both the wide angle zooms show very significant amouts of distortion which once you are aware of you need to correct in PS for virtually every shot that includes straight lines.So if you had carefully composed your shot using 100% coverage as provided by say the 1D, there would be no room at the sides or top and bottom of the frame to correct lens distortions without loss of perhaps important details in the edges of your shots.
liningiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:22 PM   #2

If that was the case, wouldn't the people with Mks be seriously upset with their barrel distortions and lenses?

I think a viewfinder that requires a precise, 100% view coverage is significantly more than a near-100% view coverage. The whole purpose of the 5D was to attract people into a FF system that's cheaper than the Mks.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote