Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:58 AM   #1

My wife and I are planning on picking up a Canon 30D in the next couple of weeks and after pounding the internet for reviews etc. I would like to ping the forum readers for a few bits of advice. We settled on the Canon line because that's what we are used to, I sold a Elan 7E on ebay for almost peanuts but realized later I should have kept my lenses, they were Sigma's so I am not feeling too stupid for letting them go. We looked at the new Sony but from what I have been reading it's not all that, plus my wife say's it does not feel as good in her hands as the Canon.The main type of pictures what we will be taking, are of my son's basketball games. So based on what I have researched the Canon and it's low noise at higher ISO settings should work great. Can anyone recommend a lens that is not over ly expensive for low light but not finish putting us in the poor house? I have been reading all kinds of horror stories of on-line shops, I am wondering if it's better to just swing to my Local wolf camera pay extra but at least walk out of the store with the camera in hand.
diamonddawg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:14 PM   #2

Regardless of 20D or 30D, buy from online and save yourself from local's higher price & taxes. I recommended B & H or Adorama. I haven't buy anything from Adorama yet but many good feedback from the company. For myself, I bought many items - from D70 to Canon 20D, 30D, 5D , etc...
I just received a Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8 as a backup for my 17-85mm IS USM, and perhaps someday may even replacing the kit lens, due to extra f-stops of Sigma.
For buying a lens, I gueesed that you have to think about the future - whether you will migrate into a full frame like 5D, also for a price of a Canon 70-200mm L F/2.8 and you're not trying to make money with the picture, I would recommended the Sigma 80-200mm f/2.8 for sport action & the 17-70mm f/2.8. Otherwise, I rather go with canon L lens if I am "lucky" & with wife's blessing :-)

BTW, I just saw today 8/27/2006 that the 30D body only is now drop down to $1,199 from B&H. Perhaps, many will follow suit due to the Rebel Xti/400 will come out mid-Sept. As I said above, if you're thinking bout eventually go to 5D, why not spend less (less than $900) for the new Rebel & spend more $$$ on quality L lens?

Quanvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:25 PM   #3

B&H .... always a good experience.
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote