Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:14 PM   #1

I'm looking to get my first DSLR and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with dust getting on the sensor. What has your experience been? How do you keep it clean?

doubleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:17 AM   #2

You can keep it clean longer by changing your lenses quickly and in a clean environment (i.e changing lenses on the beach is a very bad idea). But, sooner or later you will get dust in the camera - it's a fact of life. Do a search on sensor cleaning here the topic has been discussed at some length.

There are also a couple DSLRs out or coming out that have a method for self-cleaning the sensor. Time will tell whether or not they work. But, the honest truth is, cleaning a sensor is not difficult at all as long as you have good eyesight and steady hands. If either of those two are an issue for you then that's a different story - you may want to look at one of the auto-cleaning cameras or just have to rely on having your sensor professionally cleaned.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:42 PM   #3

I have had good success at cleaning sensors by simply using an air blower such as the Giotttos Rocket Air Blaster.* It may take a few tries but works well.* Give that a shot before you actually try direct "wiping" of the sensor.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:39 PM   #4

I have had success cleaning my sensor with an air blower also. I use a rubber blower I picked up at my local camera store getone that is a good size so you get enough air pressure. Dust is something you just have to deal with don't let it be your deciding factor.
joelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:00 PM   #5

Just stay away from canned air or you will most likely end up with dust and gunk to clean off the sensor.

Check out this http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html
stellgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:41 AM   #6

I just went through my first sensor cleaning this weekend. I was blissfully unaware at how much dust was on the sensor until I did a few test. I shoot sports at wide f/stops f/1.8 - 4 so dust wasn't showing up. Shooting a well lit white paper at f/22, downloading the image, in CS2 running auto levels and I was shocked to see sooooo many particles.

I try and change lenses as quickly as I can when I have to change them, but a baseball diamond probably isn't the best place to do it ;-) I would use a rocket blower, occasionallya foot pump blower once a week or so to blow off the sensor, never performing the test above until this weekend.

I tried dry methods first, lens pen and brushoff. They got rid of 60% of the dust. I really liked the lens-pen and feel this might work well if I hadn't waited 10 months to do my first cleaning.

I then went to the wet method, sensor swab and eclipse fluid. After several attempts each one either getting more dust off or moving it around I finally resorted to using smaller sensor swab and concentrated on the corners where the dust was. By the way, I was cleaning a Mark II N 1.3 crop factor. I switched to a swab for my 20D a 1.6 crop factor. Now I know this doesn't follow the rules for cleaning the the sensor but there is a piece of glass over it. Irubbed the swab several times over the corners much firmer than I was originally (this is were some particals seemed stuck). I'm sure being my first time I was very delicate to start with anyway. Plus the sensor swab handles bend way to much making it difficult to apply firm pressure. I then ran a 1.3 swab "according to all the rules/directions"over the sensor.

After doing this several times I finally got the sensor prettydarn clean. I don't know if it's possible to get every speck off. But, when I was done I did another test at f/22, f/11/ and f4. At f/4 I didn't see a single spot.At f/11 at 100%if I looked hard enough I could see a slight darkening where a spec might have been (or it might have been a blemish on the paper?) At f/22 there where a few very, VERY small spots.

It took me nearly 3 hoursto do this. Almot 2 of it, performing test after each swab. I had nothing else to do Friday night and itshould never take this long if you take care of it on a regular basis. In fact, I just ordereda 100 pek pads and a firmer 16mm swab along with the Visibledust. I'll use the Visibledustweekly along with a blower. I don't expect to have to do the wet methodany more than once a quarter. The Visibledust and blower shouldn't take more than a few minutes and a few more to do a test to check it out.

I know this was a bit long winded. But I was nervous tosay the least at cleaning my 4K camera. Some sites/folks say DON'T DO IT YOURSELF, other say it's no big deal. Ihave to agree, it's no big deal.

Hopethis helps,
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote