Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:12 AM   #1

I am thinking of purchasing a used 20D,how do I read how many shutter actuations it has?
daler63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:20 AM   #2

You don't !
It's not possible to find this out, though maybe Canon can.
There is a utility to check the numbers, called Cancount, but it only works on the 1D series.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:46 AM   #3

Perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong. I own a 20D but don't have it in front of me at the moment to double check.

If the FILE NUMBERING is set for CONTINUOUS with the MENU options the camera generates a folder on the CF card to contain the image files. Each folder holds a maximum of 100 files before it then generates another folder numbered sequentially. Even if all the folders are deleted or another card installed the 20D will install a replacement folder with the latest number. To approximate the number of shutter operations all you need do is multiply thelatest folder number by 100. For example if the folder is numbered 159 then multiplying by 100 gives between 15800 and 15900 shutter operations for that camera.

Hope I am giving you correct information.

Keef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:50 AM   #4

Instead of deleting, if you rename a folder on the card with 001 from an external PC, then when you insert the CF card in the camera would it start at 002?
-> giving a 200 picture counts instead
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:56 PM   #5

It seems if the camera does not see the folder number it expects to find,using its sequential system, it will just ignore anything else on the card and recreate the folder it expects to find there with the latest number. It will ignore other folders on the card even if they were created by the camera previously and regardless of whether these folders do or do not contain a 100 images. It will place image files only into the latest folder number it is expecting to find on the card.

I believe this iscorrect but still have not double checked this with my own 20D.

Keef is offline   Reply With Quote