Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:05 AM   #1

I am very new to SLR digital photography, but have read hundreds of comments on this forum and others during the past two weeks. Yesterday I ordered from B&H the $799, 10 MP Cannon XTi, i.e. 400D, along with the inexpensive Cannon F1.8 lens, and intend to order the Cannon 75-300 F4.5 lens when it becomes available – a total of approx. $1,440.

Now for my question: Assuming that 85% of my photos will be of birds and wildlife and a budget of less than $2,000, would you recommend the purchase of the following kit items from BuyDig? In particular, in your opinion are the 2 Tamron lenses of sufficient IQ to beuseful or, instead, to be merely expensive paper weights?

1. Sandisk 2 GB Compact Flash Memory Card

2. Sakar 21-IN-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader

3. Tamron 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Aspherical For Canon EOS, WIth 6-Year USA Warranty

4. Tamron 75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD FS=62 For Canon, WIth 6-Year USA Warranty

5. Sakar 800mAh Replacement Battery for Canon NB-2L

6. Digital Concepts 58mm Multicoated UV Protective Filter

7. Digital Concepts 62mm Multicoated UV Protective Filter

8. DigPro Deluxe SLR Holster Case

9. Digital Camera and Camcorder Screen Protectors for LCD's (pack of 12)

10. Sakar 3pc. Lens Cleaning Kit

Regular Low Price:$469.85

Added Savings:$150.85 (32.11%)

Final Price:$319.00

Thank you very much for your help,

R. A. Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Do I take it that you did not order the 18-55mm kit lens?

So your only photographic choices will be an effective short telephoto 50mm (*1.6=80mm effective) and long telephoto? Seems a bit weird, but if you never want to take a landscape picture or anything of a family gathering I suppose you should be happy enough with your wildlife shots.

At any rate - that kit really doesn't look like very good value to me, especially considering that you will then have two 75-300 lenses, and still be without a wide angle option.

Finally are you sure you want the 75-300 Canon lens? You would be much better off i.t.o. IQ with the Sigma 70-300 APO. The new Canon 70-300 IS is a nice lens, but more expensive.

Price these options - Sigma 17-70mm + Sigma 70-300 APO + card + card reader. Forget about filters - see a ton of other threads about that. Buy a proper camera bag that will fit ALL your gear. I am fairly sure you will be way ahead of your current choices in IQ and price.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:20 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply to my request for help. Itis exactly the kind ofcounsel that I need and I will very likely follow it. I had thought of the Sigma 70-300 APO, but was concerned about being able to eventually couple it with a 1.4 X extender.

R. A. Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 1:26 PM   #4

i can't speak for either of the Tamron lenses you listed, but i do have their SP 24-135 f3.5-5.6 lens, and it is excellent. it produces clear, sharp images with accurate color. it's also got a very good "macro" function, will focus at 135mm (216mm on an APS body like the Canon 20D/30D) down to about 10 inches, which makes it a good choice for close-up work. the only thing it doesn't offer is image stabilization, and given the focal lengths involved, i don't personally find that a serious shortcoming. the SP24-135 sells for about $400 USD. it would also give you a wider range than the 28-80 lens you mentioned, making it a better choice for an "all-purpose" lens....

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote