Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:45 PM   #1

Hello, I purchased a Canon 20D in March with a 28-135mm lens to try to have maximum flexbility while getting used to the camera. I would like to purchase a wide angle lens for landscape and a macro lens for close up work. My 20D was 1st professional level camera, I've been reading and trying to take as many pictures as possiable, still confused as to which lens I should purchase. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

rdemarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:12 PM   #2

Hi Ron;
I cannot comment on a macro lens as I do not yet have one. Hoping to find the coin at some point to buy one. I can however recommend a wide angle from Canon which I have had for several years. The 17-40 F4 L model. I have never taken a bad picture with it. Very sharp and has very fast autofocus. I use it as my walk around lens. You did not mention price range you were looking in but if you don't mind spending the dough, you will never regret buying it. As I recall, it cost me somewhere around $600 from B & H. It also is built like a tank. Just a great lens.
dlearyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:27 PM   #3

For wide angle, I'm assuming you mean starting in the 17mm to 18mm range...

I've tested the Canon 17-40mm f4L, 17-35mm f2.8L, 16-35mm f2.8L, Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC, and Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II lenses. In terms of sharpness and contrast, the Tamron and Canon 16-35mm results were very close...too close. 2nd came the Sigma 18-50mm, then 17-35mm, then 17-40mm. This by no means was very scientific, as I had onlyone sampling of eachlens to test...but with the copies of the lenses I had access with, those were my results. All tests conducted with my 30D mounted on a tripod, w/ remote shutter. Tests were done at f2.8, f4, f5.6, and f8.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote