Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 23, 2006, 6:44 PM   #21

he said 50mm not 85mm. Could be something wrong with this poster's lens. 85mm f1.8 focus much faster than 50mm f1.8.
It's quite possible that may be true. I did an ISO 12233 test recently with all my lenses, and the EF 50 F/1.8 came out with some interesting results. The resolution was excellent at the top right corner and it got incredibly worse as you moved down to the bottom left. This occured in all aperture tests.

Here's a 100% crop from the F/1.8 test. If the whole frame produced results like at the top right then I would use this lens more often.

[align=center]EF 50 F/1.8 II

Camera: 300D
Aperture: F/1.8
Shutter: 1/125
ISO: 100
Notes: Tripod used with mirror lockup
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:30 AM   #22

i just wonder if your troubles eminate from your particular copy of the lens? i've had much more experienced canon users tell me that sample quality varies substantially, particularly with the 50 1.8. while this is only my opinion, the 50 1.8 which i picked up -- and admittedly have only had a few occasions to use -- performs remarkably well for the price. and while the quality and certain characteristics of the images from the 50 1.8 is not directly comparable -- at least fairly -- to that of the 85 1.2 II USM, when stopped down to f/4.0 or smaller, i was not the only one who had difficulty distinguishing 5x7s of the same subject made on my 20D and 50 1.8 with those from a 5D w/ the 85 1.2.

davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote