Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:43 PM   #1

Several months have been gone while I was having a constant lack of distance in shooting. Therefore I started to think for another lans such as Macro or Zoom lens.

Is there a possibility that I can buy one lens for both purpose

Zoom and macro photography.

I would like to use this lens for shooting for examplethe animals which do not allow to come close but also would like to shot a small insects or flowers very close.... is it posible to use one lens for both purpose.

In my bag I have: Kit lens, prime 50mm and 28-70L all Canon for CanonEOS350D.

This time I'm looking for a non-expensive lens as my budged is very limited....

I was suggested the following lens to examine:

SIGMA 70-300 APO f4-5.6

SIGMA 70-200 f2.8 dg ex APO

Tamron 90mm macro

Sigma 105mm Macro f2.8 ex dg

Any comment or suggestion from your side would be appriciated...

Regds Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:20 PM   #2

Zak, Macro and tele lenses are very different. Tele lets you get close to an object far away. Macro lets you get very close to something already close. A "true" macro will allow you to focus on something close, and it will be the same size as it would be on a 35mm film neagtive as it is live. That's refered to as a 1:1 ratio. A 1:2 ratio is 1/2 life size on the negative. Some tele lenses will allow you to focus on a subject fairly close, but the ratio will probably only be 1:3, maybe less. Bottom line is that a macro lens will allow you to focus on bugs and have them look big. A tele will allow you to focus on a flower and have it appear big.
There are other options, such as extention tubes and macro filtersn and they are cheaper than a new lens. Post here if you can't find info on them.
PS: lookhere for an example of a flower shot with a tele lens.
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote