Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 22, 2006, 1:47 PM   #1

Well yesterday I decided to stop by Cal's Cameras in Newport Beach, CA to check out a replacement for my crappy kit lens that came with my Digital Rebel XT. After shooting some photos with the Tamron 28-70mm f/2.8 lens on sale for $499 which is slightly more telephoto according to the salesman than the Tokina AF28-70mm f/2.8 (Model: AT-X 287 AF PRO SV), i shot some photos with that lens as well. According to the salesman, the image quality in both is nearly identical when used on a $5k body and the only difference was the Tokina was a little more wide angle.

So I went with the Tokina which was also on sale and grabbed a 'ProMaster 77mm UV Filter" and after tax I walked out with only $294 less cash in my pocket. Plus Cal's has a cool policy that if I'm not happy with the lens in any way, i can return it within 30 days to swap it out for a different lens.

So far I really like the lens and how it works so much better in low light situations due to the f/2.8 aperture.

Here are the specs of the lens:

Focal length: 28mm ~ 70mm Maximum aperture: f/2.8 Minimum aperture: f/22 Optical construction: 16 elements in 12 groups Coatings: Multi-layer Angle of view: 75° 20' to 34°20' Minimum focus distance: 0.7m (27.5") Reproduction ratio: 1:5 [align=left] Focusing system:[/align] [align=left] Internal focusing system[/align] Zooming system: Rotary type Number of diaphragm blades: 8 Filter size: 77mm Maximum outer diameter: 84mm (3.3") Overall length: 108mm (4.3") Weight: 719g (25.2oz) Accessories, included: Dedicated lens hood, fitted soft case Lens Hood BH773 Warranty: 3 years Suggest List Price: $600.00

This is the very first photo I took with the lens once I left the shop. Nothing special.... just my car.

And something a little more artistic. My friend with some nice back lighting while pouring cup cake batter into the tray. This one was done at f/2.8, ISO 400, 1/40.

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:22 AM   #2

Nice Evo...
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:07 PM   #3

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me too. I'm not sure how your salesman concluded the one lens was more telephoto or wider than the other since they are both identical focal lengths 28-70mm. I know when tested some lenses actual focal length is a tad more or less than what the lens is advertised at, but it would be so negligable you probably would have a very difficult time telling the difference.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:36 AM   #4

28-70mm wouldn't be wide enough to completely replace the 18-55mm kit lens, in my opinion.

Pictures look good though.
elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote