Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:06 AM   #11

I agree with the 18-55 recommendation.

Just remember you need an external flash for this lens to meet your goals. Otherwise you'll be very limited in what you can do indoors.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:33 PM   #12
Super Moderator

I agree 18-55.

I have a 28-90mm lens that came with my old Canon EOS 50E; it performed just fine on the film camera, but when I tried it out on my 20D I found it wasn't nearly as sharp as the humble 18-55, even though it had somewhat better build quality and USM.

The 18-55 gets a very bad rap on the internet, and although it's certainly true that there are many better lenses out there, it is often overlooked that that there are plenty of cheap older lenses that actually perform worse than this cheap new lens.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:27 AM   #13

A little late, but the 24 - 85 is a pretty good choice too. However, the 18 - 55 isvery hard to beat because of the wide angle. Go with that and upgrade later once you've had a chance to see what shooting style you use the most.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:49 PM   #14

For kid parties, the EF-S 18-55mm is fine. You may want to get a stronger external flash if you want to shoot from greater distances than what built-in flash can handle.

I just sold my 18-55mm to a guy who had a 28-90 (or was 28-105). He needed wider angle. 28 is like 45mm on a 1.6x crop camera such as the XT.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote