Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:56 AM   #1

so, i have this baby for about 4 days(great lense):-), on eos 400d body. the problem is that the zoom browserex(canonsoftware)is reporting me sometimes(randomly) that the max focal distance - 200mm - is actually 188mm. has anybody encoutered this problem?? is my zoom defective?
danyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:28 PM   #2

It's not uncommon for a manufacturer to round the focal lengths in their product descriptions.

According to the MTF Charts at photodo.com, the effective focal length for this lens is 71-190mm.

Also, effective focal length can change depending on focus distance with some lens designs. So, the Zoom Browser Software may be "smart enough" to know what the actual focal length is for a given focus distance. IOW, the report may not be at random. ;-) Try it at both closer focus distances and infinity and see if the reported focal length changes (usually longer towards infinity with lens designs that focus distance impacts focal length with).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote