Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 17, 2006, 6:33 PM   #1

I have recently moved from a FZ20 to the XTI. I got the kit lens with it and have a couple of Tamron lenses. A 28-300 AF LD but not the DI model. I also have a 200-400 AF, LD again not the DI model.

I mainly take outdoor shots of wildlife and scenery and have found that I did most of my shooting at the high end of the 12X optical on the FZ. I am considering the Canon 70-300 IS for my main lens. I would like to stay in this price range (600.00US)as I have a few more hobbies:lol:.

I have a 50mm 1.8 on the way for indoor portrait shots (xmas) and a 2X Tamron teleconverter. I will eventually need a flash I think. I have a 540ES(not EX)and a Sunpak 330 now. I have a lot to learn so would appreciate any opinions out there. Am I on the right track for my main lens and also any other comments on lenses or flash would be appreciated.

ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2006, 7:47 PM   #2

may be an extra 200 dollors can get u the 100-300. This is absolutely great lens and easily comparable to 100-400L even with a 1.4X extender.

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 3:35 AM   #3

I have the Canon 350D (XT) which was an upgrade from the FZ10 so I can understand where you are coming from. I ended up getting the Sigma 17-70, canon 50 1.8 and Canon 70-300 IS. The main reason I upgraded was because I went on a trip to Southern Africa and I wanted to have the best camera I could afford on a once in a life time trip. After ~7 Weeks and a few thousand photos I can say that all the lenses I took were perfect. The 17-70 was my walk around which was excellent for landscapes and the macro function came in quite useful. The 50mm f1.8 was great for those evening game drives. And the Canon 70-300 IS was the best lens choice I could have made for the trip, it is such a nice lens and so sharp for the price! It lived on the camera most of the time. The IS was very handy and allowed me to get a number of shots that would have other wise been impossible.
I have some of the photos of the trip on my website at http://www.kiwishooter.com/Africa/
feel free to check it out and make you your own mind about the lenses.

All the Best

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote