Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1

I have decided to buy a new lens.
I need a lens for close up and to zoom to a distance objects, but I put close-ups as my primar need.
Could I consider the one lens for both purpose or I need a separate.
For close-ups I would like to shot a small bugs, small insects and small objects.
For distance objects I would lilke to shot animals for which I have to use a candid shot as they are afraid of the people.
For example I was told that CANON 100mm f2.8 Macro is a very good choice.
The price is a little high for me, but if it is really good lens I might buy them.
I have Canon EOS350D and allready have: 50mm prime lens, kit lens and 28-70mm
Is there any better choice, possibility, cheaper lens but useful...I do not know...

What about some converters...?
All coments or suggestions are welcome

Rgds Zak
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:23 PM   #2

How far is "distant objects"? 100mm won't get you that far. You can probably pair a an "L" zoom lens and Canon's 500D close-up lens to achieve what you're trying to accomplish...but since you said the 100mm f2.8 lens macro is pushing the budget, my suggestion may be out of reach at this time.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I haven't tried this, but you can try a Sigma 70-300mm APO lens (about $200 brand new) and pair it with a Kenko extension tube set (about $125) for an affordable zoom and macro combo.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote